You’re being taken to an external site to apply.Enter your email below to receive job recommendations for similar positions.
Human Resources Generalist
Human Resources Generalist
Sheridan. Be part of something greater. Your career awaits…join us!
LOCATION: Lawrence, KS
Sheridan Kansas has operated in Lawrence, Kansas, for more than 70 years of service to the Journal publishing industry. Our customers depend on us to covert their ideas into one of the most important inventions man ever made, a book of printed words.
The Human Resources Generalist will manage the daily functions of the HR department and is responsible for a range of HR related tasks with a strong emphasis on recruiting, onboarding and retention; HR compliance; HRIS; benefits administration; compensation administration; disability/leave administration and tracking; worker’s compensation administration; and confidentially maintaining employee records.
- Perform job duties and conduct self in accordance with Sheridan and CJK Group values in alignment with the Company’s Vision.
- Prepare and maintain electronic and paper employment records related to events such as hiring, termination, leaves of absence, transfers, or promotions, using human resources information system (HRIS) software.
- Interpret and explain human resources policies, procedures, laws, standards, or regulations.
- Recruit, interview, and facilitate the hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions; collaborate with department managers and supervisors to understand skills and competencies required for job openings.
- Inform job applicants of details such as duties and responsibilities, compensation, benefits, schedules, working conditions, or promotion opportunities; contact applicants to inform of non-selection.
- Conduct background checks and employment eligibility verifications; and coordinate pre-employment drug screening.
- Complete the hiring process, including collaboration with Information Systems and departmental managers; and coordinate new hire orientation.
- Assess and determine eligibility of employees for benefits; assign effective dates and communicate benefit status changes with employees.
- Administer annual benefit open enrollment for all employees with guidance from the CJK Group benefits team.
- Handle employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees and supervisors, referring complex and / or sensitive matters to the VP of HR.
- Administer employee changes such as contact information, compensation increases and Family Status changes, ensuring all are completed fully and appropriately, and communicated to payroll.
- Implement employee recognition programs.
- Track and manage FMLA Hours for employees.
- Administer timekeeping system, coordinating with the CJK Group payroll team to ensure employees and hierarchy are setup and accurate.
- Work with the CJK Group payroll team to process biweekly payroll for all employees, review and ensure accuracy of wages as well as all leave, garnishments and deductions.
- Work closely with the Corporate Safety Director in implementing programs and training, completing reports, etc. Assist in maintaining a safe work environment by reporting any actual or potential hazards to the Safety Director, the Safety Committee, or senior management.
- Administer the employee performance assessment process, coordinating with management.
- Process all employee termination paperwork including system updates and vendor notification.
- Maintain affirmative action tracking logs (hires, promotions, terms, etc.) as well as the applicant tracking log.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- HS Diploma/equivalent and 1+ year of experience in an office environment.
- Understanding of general human resources policies and procedures.
- General knowledge of employment / labor laws.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment such as copiers, printers, fax and scanning devices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and email.
- Experience with databases.
- Ability to develop and run reports using an HRIS.
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate with and respond to others in a clear and understandable manner, and to develop and maintain professional relationships with employees and vendors.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of personnel records and company information.
- Demonstrated regular attendance and punctuality.
- Ability to work in excess of 40 hours per week when necessary.
- Demonstrated strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately compile and maintain detailed information.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with laws related to HR.
- Human Resources Certification (SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP or PHR/SPHR).
- HRIS Experience.
- Experience with recruiting and hiring employees.
- Experience with the administration of FMLA.
- Experience with employee benefits administration.
- Experience using Kronos and ADP.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
- Ability to work in an open office environment with moderate noise and traffic.
- Ability to access and navigate each department at the organization’s facilities.
Why work for Sheridan?
- Job training
- Career advancement
- College tuition up to $5,250 per year
- Paid vacation & holidays
- Competitive compensation
- Medical (PPO and HSA Plans), Dental, Vision
- Teledoc – convenient and no cost
- Company paid basic life and AD&D insurance
- Voluntary life
- 401(k) with company match
- Company paid short term disability
- FSA Health and Dependent Care savings accounts
- HSA Health saving account
- EAP program
CJK Group is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need assistance or a reasonable accommodation to apply for employment, please contact the HR Department at
- Apache Open Office
- Audio Equipments
- Critical Thinking
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Job ID: 35339830563
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.