St. Mary's University, as a Catholic Marianist University, fosters the formation of people in faith and educates leaders for the common good through community, integrated liberal arts and professional education, and academic excellence.SUMMARY
: This position installs, repairs and maintains domestic water, well water, chill water, heating water, natural gas, sanitary sewer, storm drain and other plumbing systems on campus and all off-campus sites, both above and below ground. The position works under general supervision following standard practices and elevates cases to supervisor.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs preventive maintenance to all plumbing systems and underground wet utility systems on campus to include but not limited to those mentioned above.
- Inspects, tests, repairs and/or replaces, including but not limited to: distribution systems, valves, pumps, water heaters, commodes, sinks, faucets, showers, tubs, water fountains, backflow devices, pressure reducing valves, grease traps, lift stations, interceptors, and other plumbing system components.
- Maintains up to date drawings of all underground utilities.
- Maintains stock level of plumbing parts to insure availability for prompt service.
- Operates equipment such as backhoes, excavators, trenchers, reamers, jetters, augers, pipe cutters, torches, welders, power tools, and uses hand tools of the plumbing trade.
- Provides practical designs of utility piping systems and the ability to make sketches that include thrust blocks, branch tees, manifolds, transitions, valve bonnet protectors, and valve standpipes.
- Excavation, de-watering, and shoring of excavation site.
- Develops and conducts a preventive maintenance program for underground utilities, trains others in plumbing work, and assists other maintenance and crafts staff performing their duties.
- Assists Central Plant staff with hydronic system repairs.
- Assists Grounds with irrigation system repairs.
- Performs plan reviews of university projects.
- Provides recommendations to management personnel as a Subject Matter Expert for all plumbing related issues.
- Carries a cell phone to respond to emergency calls after hours.
- Maintains a clean and safe working area.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- One (1) year of demonstrated experience in operating, maintaining, and repairing plant equipment, including hot and chilled water pumps, water treatment methods and equipment.
- State of Texas Journeyman Plumber's License required.
- Valid Texas Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester License or have ability to obtain within 90 days of employment.
- OSHA training in Excavation and Trenching for the Competent Person preferred or have ability to obtain within 90 days of employment.
- TCEQ Water System Operator Class C license, or ability to obtain within one year of employment.
- Gas welding (brazing, soldering) proficiency required.
- Pipe welding Certification, preferred.
- Must clear and maintain a favorable background investigation and clearance.
- Must maintain a valid driver's license, motor vehicle liability insurance and personal injury insurance, and complete the University Van Driver Training within 90 days of employment date.
- Must possess and demonstrate expert level knowledge of repair, installation, and joining methods of UPVC, CPVC, PVC-O, PVC-Hi, PEX, HDPE, Carbon Steel, Copper, Borosilicate, Victaulic, Transite, Ductile Iron, Cast Iron, Galvanized, Vitrified Clay, and Concrete piping systems.
- Must have high level of mechanical aptitude and functional understanding of hydrodynamics, hydronics, pneumatics, and hydraulics.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of applicable plumbing codes.
- Must have a working knowledge of trenching, shoring, and confined space safety principles.
- Must be able to work evenings and/or weekends as needed.
- Must carry company provided cell phone and respond to emergency calls on a 24-hour basis.
- Must be proficient in speaking, reading, and writing English; must have ability to read written instructions, warning labels, blueprints, specifications, and SDS Sheets in English.
- Must possess legible handwriting, possess eyesight in both eyes corrected to 20/20 and normal hearing ability (may be corrected).
- Must possess mathematical ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in order to compute material take offs for projects, and costs as required for completion of work order form.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment for excavating at an expert level is desired.
- Ability to maintain satisfactory and harmonious relationships with the public, and fellow employees each day to assure/sustain quality service and appropriate interactions with others.
- Ability to work in a highly autonomous manner with a high level of technical understanding of the plumbing systems.
- Ability to work in an environment that requires a high level of professional conduct.
- Able to successfully handle challenging conditions such as limits on time, shifting priorities, limited access to equipment, and dealing with uncomfortable customers.
- Able to carry 80 pounds up and down stairs.
- Frequent standing, kneeling/squatting, bending/ stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
- Frequent walking, climbing stairs/ladder/scaffolding, grasping/squeezing, wrist flexion/extension, and overhead reaching.
- Able to work safely with systems which have the potential to expose workers to bloodborne and waste water borne pathogens.
- Work outside and inside, on slippery or uneven walking surfaces; frequent exposure to extreme hot and cold temperatures, insects, dust, mud, toxic chemicals, particles, and fumes, noise, vibration, and electrical hazards; workaround gas lines; work around machinery with moving parts; may work in tight or enclosed spaces; may work alone; may work irregular hours.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
St. Mary's University is a Hispanic-Serving Institution and an Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to furthering diversity, equity, and inclusion and encourages all qualified candidates apply.
- Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester
- Cast Iron
- Confined Spaces
- Fluid Dynamics