To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Pensacola, FL
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Check Processing Specialist I
Navy Federal Credit Union • Pensacola, FL
Posted 6 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Why You Will Love Being Part of the Navy Federal Team:
*Competitive compensation with opportunities for annual raises, promotions, and bonus potential
*Best-in-Class Benefits! (7% 401k match / Pension plan / Tuition reimbursement / Great insurance options)
*On-site amenities include fitness center, wellness center, cafeteria, etc. at Pensacola, FL; Vienna, VA and Winchester, VA campuses
*Consistently Awarded Top Workplace
*Nationally recognized training department by TRAINING Magazine
*An employee-focused, diverse, and service-oriented workplace environment
To validate and process checks and/or financial instruments received from multiple sources within posting deadlines, in compliance with state and federal regulations that govern payments processing.
1. Prioritizes, processes and reconciles incoming and outgoing financial items from direct presentment banks, the Federal Reserve Bank (FRB), Navy Federal branches, Mail Remittance, ATM, eDeposits, or other sources for clearing.
• Organizes work according to item type (e.g. on-us, returned items, Savings Bonds etc.) to ensure adherence to established deadlines/guidelines
• Processes, redeems, and reconciles checks, savings bonds, FRB advice of debit, high dollar items, and on-us bank of first deposit items
• Performs data capture quality assurance via image capture devices, and applies appropriate corrective actions
• Prepares and reconciles direct presentment balancing summary including cash letter totals, times of arrival, adjustments (debited/credited), and amounts wired
• Balances incoming items and cash letters from presenting financial institutions
• Processes bank wires and coordinates with Comptroller to ensure accurate and timely completion and to minimize risk of financial penalties
• Coordinates with internal business units (e.g. Savings and Checking Operations) to complete returned item processing to include preparing “Return Item Notification” for large dollar returns
2. Collaborates with various internal and external contacts to verify, reconcile and resolve item and/or posting discrepancies.
• Researches and compiles appropriate adjustment documentation (e.g., copies of checks, cash letters, check listings etc.); reports findings and forwards the information to the internal business units
• Coordinates with banks to resolve discrepancies for immediate debit and credit, and reconciles/corrects rejected items and misread documents
• Generates and reviews end-of-day reports, balancing and reconciling multiple check files with end-of-day posting; identifies, researches, and corrects discrepancies for out-of-balance conditions for each source
• Maintains records of delivery items and quality control issues and communicates findings with the appropriate institutions
• Researches and responds to inquiries related to check processing from members and internal business units
3. Ensures compliance with applicable regulations, guidelines and procedures, and administers related systems.
• Ensures check processing is in compliance with internal, state, and federal regulations
• Assists management and collaborates with internal and external contacts for testing related to
enhancements, upgrades or new products/services
• Monitors, reviews and maintains records of system and quality control issues; resolves and/or escalates to management or appropriate analytics staff
• Identifies equipment software and hardware problems and performs routine maintenance; initiates services calls when applicable
• Assists with business continuity testing to include quarterly testing of Check Processing related systems at the Winchester Recovery Center
4. Performs other related duties as assigned or appropriate.
• Performs routine processing duties and uses existing procedures/guidelines to determine course of action for various checks/instruments
• Works with regular supervision
• Applies knowledge of financial instruments and negotiability to research and resolve basic inquiries and discrepancies
• Interacts with various contacts to research and resolve discrepancies
• Familiarity or experience with check processing operations, equipment, and procedures
• Demonstrated knowledge of the negotiability of financial items
• Ability to interpret and apply regulations, instructions and procedures
• Ability to work accurately and efficiently with numbers
• Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
• Effective problem solving, planning and organizational skills
• Working knowledge of PCs and spreadsheet, database, and word processing software
Equal Employment Opportunity
Navy Federal values, celebrates, and enacts diversity in the workplace. Navy Federal takes affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities, disabled veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, recently separated veterans, and other protected veterans. EOE/AA/M/F/Veteran/Disability