The Chaplain is responsible for a program of pastoral care for the residents of Lutheran Senior Service communities. The Chaplain upholds the philosophy, core values and goals of the organization and ensures the Christian Mission of Lutheran Senior Services is realized as “Older Adults Living Life to the Fullest”.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assesses pastoral care needs of residents and provides spiritual guidance to individual residents, groups of residents and families through worship services, devotions, Bible study, prayer and other spiritual support; Networks with community leadership to coordinate care
2. Prepares for and conducts worship services and administers communion when appropriate; May preach at other LSS locations as needed
3. Works with families regarding family deaths (when appropriate) and may conduct funerals and memorial services as residents and families desire; May act as a liaison between the funeral home and the community for on-site services
4. Provides pastoral counseling for LSS staff as appropriate; Assists with the administration of the Christ Care fund
5. Networks with area pastors to encourage support of our ministry and to obtain referrals; Participates in District (if LCMS) or Synod (if ELCA) activities
6. Provides pastoral visits to those hospitalized, in rehab centers, or unable to leave their home
7. Provides programs on pastoral care for the elderly to LSS and community groups
8. Recruits and oversees volunteers to extend spiritual care endeavors
9. May assist in fieldwork supervision as appropriate
10. Develops and/or adheres to an annual budget, managing monthly expenses, submitting mileage and reimbursable expense forms
11. Participates in the quality assurance program
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
-Ordained and preferably rostered clergy of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) or Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA)
-Knowledge of gerontology, family dynamics and counseling
-Minimum of one (1) unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) preferred
-Certification by the Association of Professional Chaplains preferred
-Comfortable in an ecumenical setting
-Possesses an outgoing personality and an ability to connect with people of various faiths and backgrounds
-Ability to support and promote the Christian Core Values and goals of LSS
-Ability to travel to remote sites during the course of their service
-Personal commitment to continuing education and peer review
-Proficiency in using portable computer devices preferred
Other Qualifications: Lutheran Senior Services (LSS) requires drivers of licensed company vehicles and those using their own vehicles for business purposes have the appropriate driver’s license, insurance coverage, and meet the auto liability carrier’s driver’s criteria.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
The physical activities, demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job duties and responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and taste or smell.
A well-lighted and ventilated working area that has its own temperature control system (air conditioning and heat). Is subject to frequent interruptions. Is willing to work beyond normal working hours, on weekends and holidays when needed. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by those assigned to this classification. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by those occupying this position. The job description and job functions described herein are subject to possible modification by LSS in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.