Permanent Position available for Director of Application Development in Nashville
Our Client is looking for a software visionary who can grow and lead the IT Applications Development group located in their corporate office. The individual seeking this opportunity will be a great personable leader, a strong thought leader, an innovative technical leader, and an excellent communicator; the candidate for this role is also expected to be an excellent collaborator across multiple business stakeholders, vendor partners and team members.
This is a great opportunity to help transform the application development service across the entire enterprise. The individual in this role will be measured on the quality, speed and cost effectiveness of the solutions delivered. Further, the role must demonstrate continuous year-over-year improvement against these measures. The individual in this role must maintain and keep current the development and implementations skills of the Applications Development organization, the software development lifecycle practices and the relevant tools utilized to deliver quality solutions.
• Leads all application development efforts associated with our current, core production systems in both the P&C and Life companies and oversees the systems development life cycle from architecture through design, code delivery, testing and deployment.
• Leads the transformation of an applications development team from COBOL/mainframe-based technology to object-oriented technology.
• Directs and manages external vendors and consulting teams effectively to ensure accountability and successful delivery for complex, large-scale projects.
• Leads efforts to ensure the workplace environment supports a highly motivated and effective workforce focused on continuous improvement and best practices.
• Implements and maintains enterprise application roadmaps, including capacity planning and modeling to support short and long-term growth requirements
• Oversees the current state and future state enterprise solution architecture
• Leads vendor management activities, including vendor selection, contract negotiation and ongoing vendor relationships as required
• Continually assesses and evaluates the impact of emerging technologies against strategic business needs and interprets business value for the organization in a consultative capacity.
We are looking for someone who is self-motivated, decisive and flexible with at least 10+ years’ experience in the P&C and Life Insurance industry as a hands-on applications development leader in all facets of software design, development, implementation and support in a large, multi-channel environment. Must have proven experience in planning, architecting and delivering enterprise-grade systems and solutions with a deep engineering background that allows you to establish credibility with experienced engineers quickly.
We need someone with the following as well:
- Proven experience leading the configuration & integration activities of one or more large transformations to the Guidewire Insurance Suite policy administration system platform (i.e. Claims Center, Policy Center, Billing Center, and Producer Engage).
• In-depth experience with the following: object-oriented programming, application servers (Tomcat, Jetty, IIS), web application frameworks (Java EE, Java Spring, .Net), relational databases (MySQL, SQL Server), NoSQL data technologies (MongoDB, CouchDB), web front end frameworks (Angular, React), web services patterns (REST, microservices), service oriented architectures (service gateways, message routing, endpoint virtualization), and build and delivery technologies (DevOps, Jenkins, Gradle, Maven)
• Expert level experience in Agile SCRUM with proven experience transitioning application development teams from waterfall to Agile methodologies.
• Proven ability to build and maintain relationships by engaging business leaders to establish credibility, solve problems, build consensus, achieve objectives, and ensure we are delivering products that meet the needs of our customers and the market.
• Expected to demonstrate a functional acumen to support how solutions will address business goals while maintaining alignment with industry best practices
• Technically competent with various software programs, including but not limited to Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio); PPM tool experience helpful
Skills that will help you stand out:
• Experience with cloud-based technologies and mobile applications development
• Experience with the Sapien’s ALIS policy administration system
• Proven experience leading the implementation activities of one or more transformations to a new Life Insurance policy administration system.
• Experience implementing DevOps practices
If you would like to discuss this opportunity further, please contact Lauren Winkler at Email blocked - click to apply or call Phone number blocked - click to apply.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at 844-463-6178
Systems Development Life Cycle