To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
755 Crossover Lane
Memphis, TN 38117
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Counsel, Development Americas
Hilton Corporate • Memphis, TN
Posted 1 month ago
The Global Legal team is responsible for administering Hilton's legal activities to ensure maximum protection while engaging in global business and ensuring compliance with the company's legal obligations.
What will I be doing?
We are seeking an attorney to join the Americas Development Legal Team in a role that will also provide support and report to the Americas Operations Legal Team. This Counsel level position provides a unique opportunity to build broad experience in both practice areas.
On the Americas Development Legal Team, you will focus on domestic and international franchising regulatory compliance, which includes preparing annual Franchise Disclosure Documents (FDDs), completing government franchise registrations and filings, and advising business and legal partners on a wide variety franchise law issues. You will also assist with hotel transactions (such as negotiating franchise agreements, transfers, and terminations) and other special projects (such as the development of new hotel brands and programs) as they arise.
You will support Hilton's managed properties in the Americas with their legal needs, including handling legal issues involving owners, guests, and vendors. This legal work regularly includes advising hotel management about legal matters involving guests or third parties, reviewing or negotiating various business-related agreements, supporting hotels with their licensing needs (e.g. sales and marketing efforts, catering and event agreements, hold harmless agreements, advertising and promotions) and interactions with government agencies. You will be extensively involved with the process of transitioning new hotels to Hilton management.
More specifically, you will:
- Work with a Legal Development team of four (4) and a Legal Operations team of three (3).
- Prepare franchise disclosure documents (FDDs) and related regulatory filings as well as assist in the management of Hilton's high-volume disclosure process globally.
- Update and manage system templates for franchise agreements, guarantees, lender comfort letters, promissory notes and other ancillary documents.
- Advise business partners and team members across all disciplines on franchise law issues throughout the lifecycle of the hotel business.
- Assist team members, as needed to negotiate, draft, finalize and execute new hotel franchise agreements, transfers, and other transaction documents.
- Negotiate, draft and review hotel vendor agreements and related documents, such as service agreements, equipment leases, space licenses, and leased labor agreements.
- Support hotels with licensing matters, including liquor licenses, business permits, and spa licenses.
- Provide legal support to the hotel transition/conversion process, in which Hilton assumes management of hotels or transitions hotels to another management company.
- Provide training and advice to hotels on handling guest, vendor, or owner matters raising a wide variety of legal issues.
- Work on cross-functional property operational matters with hotel executives, other legal teams and corporate departments, including public relations, owner relations, human resources, safety and security, risk management, and sales.
- Assist, as needed with the enforcement of system standards through the franchise default and termination process.
- Engage and manage outside counsel on certain matters.
- Be responsible for matter management and tracking, and outside counsel billings.
- Be responsible for discrete projects that are time sensitive and deadline driven.
- Help analyze, evaluate, review and recommend improvements to streamline processes to maximize efficiency and effectiveness. Innovation is encouraged.
We believe that success in this role will demonstrate itself through the following attributes and skills:
- Knowledge of Franchise law
- Experience preparing franchise disclosure documents and registrations
- Skilled at drafting, negotiating, and interpreting contracts
- Skilled at researching and interpreting international statues and regulations
- Exceptional legal analysis and the ability identify and resolve issues proactively
- Strong and mature judgment, including the ability to counsel property executives on time sensitive matters as they are unfolding
- Ability to train property executives and management teams effectively on legal issues and developments
- Strong organizational skills to handle voluminous information
- Strong transaction management skills with an aptitude for staying calm and effective while meeting multiple demands and prioritizing workflow against deadlines
- Legal drafting expertise in the plain English method
- Ability to navigate a large organization, coordinating and communicating with different offices and functions internationally
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to foster good working relationships with partners across the organization
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic team environment, including ability to effectively provide direction and support to other team members in the performance of their duties
- An aptitude for effectively addressing any issue in collaboration with others
To fulfill this role successfully, you should demonstrate the following minimum qualifications:
- Five (5) years' experience in a corporate legal department or law firm
- Franchise law knowledge commensurate with experience
- Limited travel
It would be helpful in this position for you to demonstrate the following capabilities and distinctions:
- Juris Doctor degree or equivalent law degree, with a current admission to practice law and in good standing in Tennessee or are eligible to be admitted in Tennessee as in-house counsel
- Advanced experience in a corporate legal department or law firm
- Hospitality industry experience
- Experience with hotel management agreements, hotel leases, and other operating structures
Hilton is the world's leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities, and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!