Macy’s is proudly America’s Department Store. For more than 160 years, Macy’s has served generations at every stage of their lives. Customers come to us for fashion, value and celebration. Now is an exciting time to join Macy’s, Inc. The face of retail is changing, and change requires innovation.
Macy’s Tech provides modern tools, platforms, and services to all parts of the business. Our team supports millions of customers in connected commerce across the technology hub at Macy’s Join our team to help shape the future of e-commerce and set the pace in retail technology. Whether focused on store technology, supply chain tech, application security, merchandising systems, or the mobile app – you’ll have opportunities to grow your career while finding meaningful ways to make a difference.
A Principal Engineer is a hands-on subject matter expert who is responsible for the overall software design of many components within a system and can lead the technical implementation of multiple initiatives. The ideal candidate will have had experience working in high paced environment and good knowledge of varying domains.
This role will be accountable for driving the technology solutions strategy and implementation for the vendor & dropship domain in Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s. The team will build enterprise-scale, integrated vendor & drop ship solutions that support a successful minimum viable product (MVP) implementation of a commercial vendor platform solution on macys.com and then continue to develop the solution over time, roll out the solution to bloomingdales.com as per the defined timelines. Members of this team utilize cutting-edge technologies (Cloud, Java, Microservices) and data integration techniques to develop and implement solutions, driving impactful results.
Will utilize lean delivery methodologies and collaborate extensively with merchandising, digital, supply chain, product management, system integrators, and other technology organizations for solution delivery. The Principal should have an excellent engineering foundation with a modern technology stack and experience implementing modern vendor, seller platform systems & technologies, experience with integrating 3rd party products to enterprise application and solution architecture. The candidate should also have the strong managerial experience to leverage an existing engineering team, attract and recruit top engineering talent.
A track record of successfully leading large-scale technology implementations in retail or related industries is highly desirable. Should be willing to take on additional engineering and leadership duties as assigned.
- Explore future technology needs for Macy’s, by balancing technology innovation, industry trends, and Macy’s customer and associate-facing solution needs.
- Lead the development, delivery, and operations of technology solutions to support the development and rollout of Macy’s vendor platform capabilities. Advises Macy's Tech senior management on strategic plans and improvements to systems and processes to execute the business vision and strategic plan.
- Lead the efforts to stay current on the vendor platform best practices, seller management, Catalog & offer, search & optimization, etc.
- Responsible for partnership and collaboration with various cross-functional teams (merchants, price operations, digital, supply chain, product management, store operations, and infrastructure teams) to modernize Macy’s vendor platform platforms.
- Play a key role to enhance software quality across the Macy’s Technology organization, and drive end-to-end accountability at all levels of Macy’s Technology organization.
- Accountable for talent development and building technology bench strength in Macy’s Technology organization.
- Mentor and coach leaders & individual contributors reporting to this position and play an active role in raising the talent bar across the technology team.
- Responsible for this portfolio’s budget, projects, and resources planning.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and/or Engineering or related field preferred, and 8-10 years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10-12 years of experience in software engineering, engineering management, Software product implementations, Integration, and delivering large-scale initiatives in retail required.
- vendor platform solution development/implementation experience is a must
- Building cloud-native applications in private & public cloud (GCP, Azure, AWS) is desirable.
- Experience in multi-channel retail technologies required.
- Experience delivering software engineering solutions in a highly matrixed organization is required.
- Experience managing large offshore teams and 3rd party vendors required.
- Experience integrating SaaS application to enterprise systems and hybrid cloud solutions
- Experience leading solution architecture and/or enterprise architecture
- Experience with modern tech stack and open-source technologies required.
- Experience and passion to work in a fast-paced Agile environment, delivering functional features in small time durations required.
This job description is not all-inclusive, and Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Candidates for positions in San Francisco ONLY can review their rights and the Company’s obligations under [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Principal, Engineer - Digital here. Candidates for positions in Los Angeles ONLY can review their rights and the Company’s obligations under [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Principal, Engineer - Digital here. Candidates for positions in Philadelphia ONLY can review their rights and the Company’s obligations under [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Principal, Engineer - Digital here.
- Agile Methodology
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Data Integration
- Engineering Management
- Enterprise Applications
- Enterprise Architectures