Be a part of our growth as we expand our Intellectual Property department in Melville, NY. Using your previous Corporate experience, the Manager of Intellectual Property will manage a team of Patent Attorneys, Patent Engineers and Patent Researchers to evaluate patentability and value for inventions developed by or submitted to the company. The manager will provide counsel to the company regarding intellectual property rights of third parties.
This is an excellent opportunity to help grow the department.
- Review contracts, prior to finalization, to ensure accurate and comprehensive expression of company rights and obligations.
- Assist Canon supervisors in protecting company rights in cases of prosecution, litigation and contracts.
- Manage the IP Dept. to include managing the activities of, and reviewing work by the Patent Attorneys, Patent Engineers and Patent Researchers; performance appraisals, coaching and corrective action.
- Prepare legal opinions and analysis of patents, review and draft significant corporate documents associated with intellectual property of the company.
- Participate in the litigation process in cases involving intellectual property matters.
- Evaluate the validity of competitors patents and potential company product infringement upon valid patents of competitors.
- Responsible for pre-patent filing review, provide legal advice to the company concerning the patent validity of its inventions and the advisability of filing patent applications covering the companys inventions.
- Manage the company patent portfolios to support the company business, to include studying allowed claims from the patent maintenance process and making recommendations to company management.
- Promote patent activities by providing inventors with IP trend updates and summaries when appropriate.
- Experienced attorney specializing in one or more phases of patent, trademark, or copyright law such as prosecution, litigation and infringement opinion.
- Must have 7 - 10 years of relevant work experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills including cross cultural communication.
- J.D. degree is required.
- Prior industry and corporate experience are a plus.
- Must be able and will to travel up to 25%.
- Must have a technical background and the ability to understand technical products
- 3 - 5 years of management is required.
About our Company - Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions to the United States and to Latin America and the Caribbean markets. With approximately $36 billion in global revenue, its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), ranks third overall in U.S. patents granted in 2018 and is one of Fortune Magazine's World's Most Admired Companies in 2019. Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based service and support for all of the products it distributes in the United States. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. In 2014, the Canon Americas Headquarters secured LEED® Gold certification, a recognition for the design, construction, operations and maintenance of high-performance green buildings. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting URL blocked - click to apply
and follow us on Twitter @CanonUSA. For media inquiries, please contact URL blocked - click to apply
Based on weekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.
All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.
We are an EEO/AA employer. Minority/Female/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
If you are not reviewing this job posting on our Careers site URL blocked - click to apply
, we cannot guarantee the validity of this posting. For a list of our current postings, please visit us at URL blocked - click to apply
#CUSA #LI-NF1 #CBNR