Have you ever enjoyed Arnold®, Brownberry® or Oroweat® bread? A Thomas’® English muffin or bagel? Or perhaps snacked on a Sara Lee®, Entenmann’s® or Marinela® cake or donut? If the answer is yes, then you know Bimbo Bakeries USA!
Baking technical support to Bimbo Bakeries USA and Co-Pack Sweet Baked Goods Facilities, support development and lead product implementation functions for BBU and Co Pack Sweet Baked Goods Operations. Provide leadership support to BBU Cake operations including Safety Programs. Provide technical and statistical analysis to improve processes and sustainability. Roll-out and maintain Strategic Technology initiatives.
Key Job Responsibilities:
The Specialist of Baking Technology supports assigned bakeries in the areas of ingredient, formula, process baking technology, deep frying oil technology and continuous improvement with an overall focus on finished product quality, consistency, and safety.
- Troubleshoot bakery issues and support to ensure the bakery teams put appropriate corrective actions in place.
- Support Marketing, Research and Development (R&D), and Engineering development trials on new formulas, new ingredients and new equipment or technologies.
- Coordinate with Operations teams to drive the scale-up and commercialization of new products, cost savings projects, and product reformulations. Initiate qualification kick-off calls and ensure that Operations teams are running necessary test bakes and launch on the agreed launch timing. Monitor quality post-launch and modify formula / process as necessary.
- Support assigned bakeries in addressing product quality concerns, consumer complaints, waste reduction efforts, and other initiatives as needed using continuous improvement and statistical tools.
- Participate as key Baking Technical resource with Engineering and Operations team on process and equipment modifications to ensure overall quality is maintained.
- Coach and train key bakery associates on Baking and Frying processes using data logger technology.
- Conduct SBG and Hydration System University training.
- Complete and post updated product code books for all key launches.
- Conduct formula audits using internal database and follow up with bakery on corrective actions if necessary. Work with R&D team on any necessary modifications to Corporate formulas.
- Lead productivity initiatives by networking with: Finance, Procurement, Engineering, Operations.
- Document weekly trip results and summarize with key follow ups to Operations team including VP of Operations.
- Bimbo Bakeries USA facilities for this position will include (but not limited): Hazleton Cake, Albany Cake, Albany Bread, Carlisle, Cicero, Fort Worth, Montebello, Escondido and all SBG Co Packers in and outside the US (14 Co Packers).
- Additional assignments in Strategic Technologies objectives include roll-out and start-up of Hydration Systems and Clean Label Baking Technologies.
- Domestic travel approximately 90-100% of the time, with occasional weekend work.
- Other assignments as needed.
Bimbo Bakeries USA is part of Grupo Bimbo, the world’s largest baking company with operations in 32 countries. Bimbo Bakeries USA (“BBUSA”) includes BBUSA and its subsidiaries and affiliated entities, including, but not limited to, Wholesome Harvest Baking, East Balt, and Acelerada. BBUSA employs 20,000 associates across the U.S. in bakeries, sales centers, corporate offices and on sales routes to ensure our consumers have the freshest products to feed their families at every meal. But our associates come to work for much more – the chance to feed their own lives through exciting work that offers the opportunity to make a real difference in their professional and personal lives every day.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food science, Food Engineering, or a related field. A combination of education, training and experience that results in demonstrated competency to perform the work may be substituted.
- Required experience includes three (3) years involving each of the following: Evaluation of Baking and/or Frying process technologies to troubleshoot and to provide recommendations. Root cause and statistical analysis for continuous improvement. Presentation of reports detailing data analysis to plant or engineering management.
Key Behavioral Competencies:
- Computer skills: Good functionality with MS Excel, MS Word and Power point.
- Leadership skills: The associate needs to work cohesively with multidisciplinary teams, keeping clear communication and trust with all responsible parties to drive company projects to a successful completion and once projects are implemented this associate needs to keep all parties accountable for the expected results.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills: The associate needs to communicate clearly the status of projects as well as the details when things get complicated to all the parties involved.
- Attention to detail: The associate needs to have great attention to detail, whether is on a written report, a power point presentation, analyzing statistical information and/or process observation to solve opportunities.
- Sense of urgency: The associate needs to drive projects with a great sense of urgency and professionalism. The mentality we are looking for is someone that believes things can be done right and efficiently in a short period of time.
- Problem solving based on root cause and statistical analysis.
- Out of the box mentality.
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be requested to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bimbo Bakeries USA is an equal opportunity employer with a policy that provides equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, disability, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, reassignment, layoff, discharge, education, training and all other working conditions. To further the principle of equal employment opportunity, Bimbo Bakeries USA has developed affirmative action plans for minorities and women, qualified individuals with disabilities, and Vietnam-era and special disabled veterans and other protected veterans.
Attention To Detail