FLSA Status Exempt
Village Shalom is one of the top not-for-profit continuing-care retirement communities in the region. We’ve been around for more than a hundred years because we hire, train and keep the best team in the city. We offer competitive wages and a benefits package with excellent insurance, retirement savings plan and paid time off. We have industry-high employee retention rates because we really care about our employees. With a caring, family environment, unrivaled employee satisfaction, and some of the area’s highest staff-to-resident ratio – you’ll have all the resources you need to be successful.
Village Shalom recently completed a major expansion that added 76 independent living apartment residences; a Main Street common area with dining, service and entertainment amenities; a free-standing 48-residence Household Model memory care community; 24 boutique-style short-term rehabilitation suites and a state-of-the-art therapy gym. We are excited about our additions to our beautiful campus.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Subject to the supervision of the Vice President of Health Care Services, the Director of Nursing is responsible for:
• Administrating, directing and coordinating the programs, services and policies of Village Shalom
• Providing overall vision, direction and administrative coordination for a multi-disciplinary team approach to resident care
• Positively contributing to the development of a learning environment that is based on Jewish values, traditions and beliefs where residents and staff are encouraged to grow and develop
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Must be a graduate of an accredited and certified school of Nursing. Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree from a recognized Nursing program preferred.
• Must be a licensed RN in good standing in the State of Kansas.
• Must obtain AED certification within 90 days of hire.
• Minimum of five (5) years of senior Nursing Administration experience.
• Must possess knowledge of State and Federal regulations.
• Administrative/management courses with preferred emphasis on team building and conflict resolution.
• Certificate in Advanced Gerontology preferred.
• Interest and experience in Geriatrics.
• Demonstrated history of commitment to personal continuing education.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
In order to succeed in the position, it is essential the Director of Nursing have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Current on trends in geriatric nursing practice, education and management.
• Knowledge of budgetary systems in health care settings.
• Experience with Quality Assurance and Risk Management.
• Experience with Continuous Quality Improvement and Total Quality Management.
• Knowledge of the MDS process
• Ability to plan, organize, direct, control, coordinate and communicate effectively.
• Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Ability to foster a learning environment that encourages and empowers staff to grow and develop personally and professionally.
• Ability to effectively teach staff current clinical techniques and disseminate knowledge.
• Ability to coach, support and facilitate staff in their problem solving techniques.
• Ability to effectively apply team problem solving techniques.
• Ability to promote high standards of resident care, programming and service.
• Ability to assume responsibility for own continuing education.
The Director of Nursing must be capable of performing the following primary and essential duties:
• Completes all annual staff performance appraisal forms, directly or through subordinates timely. Meets with staff members on an ongoing and continual basis to review performance and provide feedback, guidance and instruction needed.
• Selects candidates, trains, and assigns and supervises staff, directly or through subordinates. Ongoing evaluation of performance of staff, initiates disciplinary actions and consults with Human Resources regarding employee issues.
• Plans for and recommends staffing, training, and equipment needed by Nursing department to meet resident needs and /or to provide other services. Needs are demonstrated by budget, goals and objectives, reports and other departmental records.
• Directs the operation of the Nursing department to achieve financial objectives. Monitors budget on an ongoing basis and prepares variance reports, etc., to ensure financial goals are met or revised as appropriate.
• Prepares annual budget to provide appropriate level of care and establish financial goals. Justifies assumptions used in compilation.
• Participates in Manager on Duty weekend program.
• Participates in applicable committees and meetings as required
• Completes required in-service requirements annually.
• Utilizes departmental appreciation budget and promotes campus wide staff appreciation events by informing staff and allowing them time to participate.
• Directs quality improvement process through managing and assessing systems to improve performance and to identify needs.
• Responds to internal and external communication timely and appropriately utilizing customer service approach.
• Promote a teamwork mentality throughout all aspects of position.
• Consideration and utilization of Village Shalom volunteer program.
• Communication of campus wide initiatives and goals to staff level to ensure all employees are aware of the organization’s overall goals and objectives.
• Monitors hours worked for department. Utilize Time and Attendance system to approve hours and submit to Payroll for processing.
• Compilation and submission of all billable charges to the Finance office.
• Develops and implements departmental policies and procedures.
• Work with Village Shalom Charitable Supporting Foundation and Development department on grant proposals, applications and reports.
• Plans, directs, coordinates and oversees the provision of resident care at Village Shalom.
• Plans, directs, coordinates and oversees all aspects of Village Shalom’s Resident Care initiatives.
• Actively trains, disciplines and coaches nursing employees in all areas of performance, attendance and recognition.
• Assists in maintaining Village Shalom’s regulatory compliance at all times including the responsibility of acting as RN for consultation on call, off hours.
• Is involved in the MDS process and Medicare reimbursement.
• Participates in meetings and on committees as required.
• Maintains positive working relationships with Village Shalom management and staff, community agencies, physicians, therapists, families, volunteers, visitors and State of Kansas personnel.
• Assumes personal responsibility for resources in your control, including handling equipment and supplies with care, being respectful of the physical plant of the facility and monetary resources.
• Comes to work as scheduled and consistently demonstrates punctuality and dependability.
• Comes to work in clean, neat clothing or uniform and consistently presents an appropriate professional appearance, including appropriate personal hygiene.
• Accepts assigned duties in a cooperative manner.
• Accepts direction from management staff.
• Assists new employees, PRN staff and agency staff in learning and following established policies and procedures.
• Assures the proper and safe storage of chemicals or other potentially harmful substances.
• Identifies safety hazards and emergency situations, takes appropriate immediate action and informs a supervisor.
• Observes infection control procedures.
- Time Management
- Team Building
- Emergency Handling
- Complex Problem Solving
- Team Working