Position: Executive Producer- Currents News
Currents News is looking for an experienced, ambitious, and creative journalist who can jump into a fast-paced newsroom environment to be the executive producer of NET-TV’s flagship news program. Currents News covers secular and faith-based news for a Catholic audience in the New York market with plans to syndicate to a national audience. The ideal candidate is someone who is searching to step off the news merry-go-round of covering crime, accidents, and fires, and leap into the world of engaging, inspirational and in-depth story-telling. The EP will thrive in a multi-platform environment and help to execute the organization’s mission. You will be in charge of managing the newsroom, supervise talent and producers, work with the assignment desk editor, and collaborate with managers from other platforms. You will participate in the editorial meetings, pitch stories, approve the rundown and scripts, and mentor a group of producers and reporters. You will supervise and monitor the recording of the newscast in the control room and booth live coverage of breaking news events.
- Supervise the stacking of the rundown and ensure that scripts are well-written, accurate and updated throughout the day.
- Work closely with the assignment desk editor to communicate story and information needs
- Write vos, anchor leads, teases and topical promos.
- Attend editorial meetings and pitch stories.
- Hire and train and mentor producers and reporters, approve vacation requests, work with news coordinator to schedule freelancers, as needed.
- Approve reporter packages.
- Communicate with and direct reporters in the field.
- Supervise the program in the control room, make editorial decisions.
Background, Skills, Requirements:
- Degree in journalism, broadcast news, or equivalent
- 3+ years of experience in a newsroom as a line producer or 1+ years as an executive producer
- Exceptional news judgment and ability to visually tell stories
- Manage, inspire, develop talent
- Excellent broadcast news writing, communication, and organizational skills
- Strong and proven ability to multitask and to work under deadlines
- Willing to occasionally work outside of your shift schedule to accommodate breaking news
- Basic knowledge of Catholic Church, teachings, and traditions is a plus
About DeSales Media Group:
DeSales Media Group is the communications and technology non-profit based within the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn. DeSales offers many services that include media relations and strategy, marketing and social media, ad sales, educational support, video production, and news production. DeSales Media operates NET-TV, a cable television channel that reaches more than two million people in the New York area. Its news group produces a nightly television program (Currents News), two award-winning newspapers (The Tablet and Nuestra Voz), and runs a news digital department that produces original content. DeSales Media is scheduled to move into a new state-of-the-art production facility in 2023 and is looking for creative and experienced professionals who are motivated to make a difference. The company offers competitive salaries, and many benefits including comprehensive medical and dental benefits, paid time off, and a 403b program with a salary contribution.
To apply, qualified candidates should submit an application form, a non-generic cover letter, and a resume/CV.
- Success Driven