The dual role Interpreter Advocate position was created to support the language and advocacy needs of Grady Health System's diverse patient population, both English and limited English speaking, while receiving care from emergency services personnel. The Interpreter Advocate will act as the voice of the patient and family by assuring that concerns or perceptions are heard in order to work toward a resolution in the provision of high quality health care. Interpreter Advocates will investigate, resolve, document and report organization-specific patient and visitor compliments, complaints and grievances as well as develop, implement, and participate in customer service and patient relations initiatives related to the Hospital. Interpreter Advocates will additionally be expected to provide accurate medical interpretation in accordance with the national standards and ethics of the profession, and promote patient rights, equal access to services and effective communication between Grady staff, providers, and the limited English proficient, Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Blind or Low-vision patients and their families.
* Update ED Throughput Dashboard and Participate in ED throughput initiatives focused on enhancement of the patient experience - Provides information to staff, providers, and patients regarding access to Language Interpretive Services and effective communication.
* Makes rounds on Limited English Proficient or deaf/hard or hearing patients and families to ensure patients are receiving - adequate language services.
* Assists with training and orientation of new employees and volunteers. - Assists with the scheduling and provision of language services for Spanish, American Sign Language (ASL), and other - languages.
* Pursues avenues to improve medical terminology, note-taking, and interpreting skills for continuing education requirements and professional enhancement.
* Provides charting/documentation for all interpretation sessions. Follows standard documentation procedures by completing charting/documentation thoroughly and accurately.
* Ensures delivery and receipt of video remote interpretation devices as needed throughout the hospital, including instructions on how to access interpreters using the same system.
* Performs other related duties and projects as requested by supervisor.
* Assists translator in proofreading and editing some translations.
* Development of a proactive approach to customer service in the Emergency Department to establish excellent customer service with minimal service recovery.
* Facilitate resolution of ED customer complaints (tracking and trending log of complaints to include complaint, staff, location, time of day, and correlate with throughput data i.e. arrival to greet, LOS, etc)
* Rounds on patients admitted through the ED with a ED LOS 240 (excluding psychiatric pts) - Provides/Coordinates service recovery in conjunction with hospital patient care advocate.
* To provide Emergency Department customers with a service experience that exceeds their expectations. To increase customer service scores to the top quartile.
* To provide excellent communication with customers and Emergency Department providers and staff.
* Validation of staff and leadership rounding with positive customer feedback loop. - Validate/Coordinate patient call backs goal 100% of discharged patients
* Patient hourly rounding in pediatrics, main, and express care to include waiting rooms - Provide customer service training to staff and leadership according to facility specific customer service program
* Compile/Update patient satisfaction survey results employee recognition information and post in department weekly/monthly
* Bachelor's Degree - Must have completed formal medical interpreting training/program (40 hours medical interpreter certificate).
* With Bachelor's Degree: Two (2) or more years job related experience in a healthcare environment.
* With Two years college level coursework: Four (4) or more year's job related experience in a healthcare environment. - One (1) or more years job related experience in interpretation to include telephonic, video, or in-person.
Preferred: - One (1) or more years of experience in a culturally diverse clinical medical setting (outpatient clinic, hospital, etc.)
Skills/Cert/Licenses Description Required:
* National certification as a medical interpreter via the National Board of Certified Medical Interpreters (CMI Certification)
* National certification as a medical interpreter via the National Board of Certified Medical Interpreters (CMI Certification) or Certification Commission for National Healthcare Interpreters (CHI certification) or ability to obtain certification within 6 months of employment. Continued employment contingent on national certification.
* Excellent Oral and Written Communication Skills in both English and Spanish
* Must have broad knowledge of medical terminology - Strong team player, collaborative working style
* Computer Skills
* Commitment to excellence and performance improvement
- Ability to meet the public professionally and courteously, as well physicians and other healthcare team members.
* Ability to problem solve
* Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations
* Strong organizational and prioritization skills
* Ability to synthesize basic data and translate it into action
* Analytical skills including a working knowledge of basic statistics and statistical analysis methodologies.
* Knowledge of body substance isolation
- American Sign Language
- Body Substance Isolation
- Clinical Works
- Copy Editing