One of the nation’s largest and most respected hospital management companies, Universal Health Services, Inc. (NYSE: UHS) has built an impressive record of achievement and performance. Growing steadily since its inception into an esteemed Fortune 500 corporation, UHS today has annual revenue exceeding $10.7 billion. In 2019, UHS was again recognized as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune; in 2018, ranked #268 on the Fortune 500; and in 2017, listed #275 in Forbes inaugural ranking of America’s Top 500 Public Companies.
Our operating philosophy is as effective today as it was 40 years ago, enabling us to provide compassionate care to our patients and their loved ones: Build or acquire high quality hospitals in rapidly growing markets, invest in the people and equipment needed to allow each facility to thrive, and become the leading healthcare provider in each community we serve.
Headquartered in King of Prussia, PA, UHS has more than 87,000 employees and through its subsidiaries operates 350 inpatient acute care hospitals and behavioral health facilities and 30 outpatient and other facilities located in 37 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the United Kingdom. For additional information on the Company, visit our web site: [ Link removed ]
Reporting into the President of Acute Care, the Vice President, Payer Strategies is responsible for the portfolio of payer contracts representing $3.6 billion, or 65%, of annualized revenue for the fourth largest publicly traded hospital company (NYSE: UHS) with an acute care profile comprised of twenty-six acute care hospitals across California, Nevada, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, South Carolina and the District of Columbia.
- Oversee development and execution of payer strategies, including public exchange participation, Medicare Advantage and managed Medicaid participation, pay-for-quality initiatives, limited and stratified network configurations and other healthcare reform initiatives
- Achieve and exceed market metrics on UHS managed care rates.
- Lead executive overseeing enterprise participation in CMS voluntary Bundled Payment for Care Improvement-Advanced (BPCI-A) program across 16 hospitals covering almost 200 bundles and over $350 million in annual Medicare spend.
- Develops and leads execution of market specific managed care strategic plans focused on market share, revenue and margin expansion. Establishes quality and financial performance standards for managed care contracts and monitors their performance. Develops an infrastructure for managed care for a multi-hospital system, physician practice management organization and growing ambulatory footprint, as well as emerging value-based contracting strategies. Responsible for advancing the division’s relationships with payers that may include narrow network products, risk adjusted capitated contracts, and other evolving care payment models.
- Ten to fifteen years or more experience in a hospital, health system, large group practice or payer organization.
- A strong track record of success in negotiating managed care contracts in competitive markets, and across multiple market/geographies. Experience developing and implementing national contracts a “plus”.
- Verifiable track record of positive relationships with payers (especially senior level relationships) and cultivation of long term relationships.
- Capitation/risk contracting, P4P and similar experience.
- Experience in the development, implementation, and/or oversight of provider compensation and financial incentive programs.
- Strong working knowledge of the different facets of medical management to include, preauthorization, utilization review, discharge planning, outpatient case management, and disease management, as well as an understanding and appreciation for Accountable Care Organizations.
- Superb organizational, managerial, financial and business skills. Demonstrated ability to influence key decision makers. Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Success operating in large, matrixed environment, working across multiple disciplines to achieve desired outcomes.
Essential Job Duties
- Direct strategic planning, business planning, and ongoing initiatives. Directs and develops growth of a managed care contracting network.
- Manages relationships and represents the organization in all meetings with health plans and other external vendors.
- Regularly evaluates, monitors, and changes network performance as needed and as market conditions demand.
- Provides leadership in negotiations and management of contracts and monitors performance.
- Develops new and innovative approaches to payor contracts that optimize payment and reimbursement structures.
- Provides leadership for the development and execution of managed care contracting policies and strategies. Provides oversight of staff. Monitors contract performance and establishes priorities for improvement with UHS’s payor partners.
- Builds and fosters a team-oriented, supportive work environment. Establishes strong credibility with physicians, as well as with Hospital leaders.
- Performs other duties as assigned/required.
UHS is a registered trademark of UHS of Delaware, Inc., the management company for Universal Health Services, Inc. and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Universal Health Services, Inc. Universal Health Services, Inc. is a holding company and operates through its subsidiaries including its management company, UHS of Delaware, Inc. All healthcare and management operations are conducted by subsidiaries of Universal Health Services, Inc. To the extent any reference to "UHS or UHS facilities" on this website including any statements, articles or other publications contained herein relates to our healthcare or management operations it is referring to Universal Health Services' subsidiaries including UHS of Delaware. Further, the terms "we," "us," "our" or "the company" in such context similarly refer to the operations of Universal Health Services' subsidiaries including UHS of Delaware. Any employment referenced in this website is not with Universal Health Services, Inc. but solely with one of its subsidiaries including but not limited to UHS of Delaware, Inc.
UHS is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at UHS via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of UHS. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by UHS as a result of the referral or through other means.