Production & Operations
Job Family Group:
Project Management Group
bp is searching for an Estimating Engineer to prepare capital cost estimates, and benchmarking to support the Capital Value Process for major projects. The responsibilities include the development of estimates of screening opportunities, optimization, to Financial Investment Decision, to support the development of a robust portfolio of projects for bp.
This role sits in the Production and Operations (P & O) Projects organization, Project Controls and Transformation Unit (PC&T) centralized Estimating Team. The selected candidate will engage with project managers, project team, finance, supply chain and other stakeholders to ensure predictable capital estimates for economic modelling of the projects. The role will require flexibility to move to support various types of projects as the need requires for the Resilient Hydrocarbon and Biofuels portfolio.
- Prepare cost estimates ranging from Order of Magnitude through to detailed Project Sanction Estimates, ensuring a full understanding of the technical scope, cost estimate basis, schedule, contracting strategy and execution plan, following bp procedures and guidelines.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the work breakdown structure (WBS).
- Develop proposed cost estimate methodology appropriate to project maturity, including identification of cost norms and unit rates required for: engineering/ project management, procurement, construction and fabrication labor hours, productivities, wage rates, construction & installation, and owners’ cost.
- Where required, carry out assurance and validation of contractor developed cost estimating deliverables, ensuring consistency against requirements prior to integration into the project cost estimate. Where required, support bid evaluations.
- Working with the benchmarking team, prepare the evaluation of the cost estimate against internal and external cost metrics and benchmarks to demonstrate the competitiveness of the project. Support the collection and analysis of cost data.
- Develop required estimating deliverables including cost estimating plans, basis of estimate, benchmarking and supporting materials for independent verification and project evaluations.
- Facilitate cost risk analysis process (deterministic/ probabilistic Monte Carlo) to ensure that the generated unallocated provision (UAP) and additional unallocated provision (AUAP) levels are reflective of the scale and magnitude of the risks & opportunities.
- Interface with Finance in developing CAPEX outputs for economic evaluations.
- Bring together lessons learned.
- 8+ years relevant industry experience, minimum 5 years in a cost estimating role.
- Engineering / Science/ Finance degree
- Experience in the preparation, analysis and presentation of capital cost estimates to management and stakeholders.
- Experience of working alongside Supply Chain on bid evaluations (Lump Sum & Reimbursable)
- Good communication (oral and written) skills
- Experience with probabilistic estimate risk analysis
- Excellent interpersonal skills and behaviors
- Ability to work under own initiative or as part of a team
- Supportive of a multicultural working environment
- Ability to address, mitigate, and resolve conflicts optimally
- Experience of work in a multi-project environment and leading several work-fronts consecutively
- Ability to lead a team of estimating resources (owners and contractors)
- Ability to produce good quality written reports and summary presentations – able to communicate clarity from complexity.
- Proficient with computers and IT including experience of using standard software (e.g. MS Outlook, MS Teams, MS Word, MS Excel, Safran and Power BI an advantage)
Why join us
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and exciting environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!
Up to 10% travel should be expected with this role
This role is eligible for relocation within country
This position is a hybrid of office/remote working
Change control, Commissioning, start-up and handover, Conflict Management, Construction, Cost estimating and cost control, Design development and delivery, Frameworks and methodologies, Governance arrangements, Performance management, Portfolio Management, Project and construction safety, Project execution planning, Project HSSE, Project Leadership, Project Team Management, Quality, Requirements Management, Reviews, Risk Management, Schedule and resources, Sourcing Management, Stakeholder Management, Strategy and business case, Supplier Relationship Management
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, socioeconomic status, neurodiversity/neurocognitive functioning, veteran status or disability status. Individuals with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation related to bp’s recruiting process (e.g., accessing the job application, completing required assessments, participating in telephone screenings or interviews, etc.). If you would like to request an accommodation related to the recruitment process, please
to request accommodations.
If you are selected for a position and depending upon your role, your employment may be contingent upon adherence to local policy. This may include pre-placement drug screening, medical review of physical fitness for the role, and background checks.
- Conflict Management
- Conflict Resolution
- Contract Management
- Design Development
- Diversity Awareness