To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Bethesda, MD 20892
- Justin Dehorty
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Bioinformatics Scientist - Microbial Genomics Expertise - NIH - Bethesda, MD
Kelly Government Solutions • Bethesda, MD
Posted 24 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Bioinformatics Scientist - Microbial Genomics Expertise - NIH - Bethesda, MD Kelly Government Solutions is a strategic supplier and business partner to the federal government and its key suppliers. Through our partnership with the National Institutes of Health, Kelly Government Solutions offers administrative, IT, engineering, scientific, and healthcare professionals the opportunity to work with one of the most prestigious research organizations in the world. We are currently seeking a Bioinformatics Scientist to work onsite with the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD. OVERVIEW. This is a long-term, open-ended contract position which offers:
- Competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package.
- Tremendous room for personal growth and career development.
- Opportunity to work at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the world's foremost medical research center.
TASKS. The contractor shall:
- Provide the scientific support services in the area of microbial genomics to the Bacterial Pathogenesis and Antimicrobial Resistance Unit, Laboratory of Clinical Immunology and Microbiology, NIAID, NIH.
- Install and operate genome assembly tools, annotation algorithms, genome alignment algorithms on genomic data sets generated by high throughput sequencing technology (Illumina, PacBio, Nanopore) for de novo genome assembly and analysis.
- Implement components of a bioinformatics software pipeline to analyze next-generation sequence data and generate statistical analysis and graphical display of data.
- High impact publications, preferably in the field of microbial genomics.
- Modify existing analysis software and to develop new approaches to solve problems; to accommodate unusual or unprecedented analytical requirements during the conduct of genomics research projects.
- Perform work on collaborative genomic sequencing projects
- Assist in the writing, figure generation, and publication of manuscripts
- Take primary responsibility for archiving sequence datasets in public repositories, including NCBI
- Take the initiative to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of daily operations to develop best practices and standard operating procedures for analyzing data in a timely and sound manner
- Work with and interact with post-baccalaureate IRTAs, graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, principal investigators, lab chiefs, and technicians.
REQUIREMENTS. The contractor MUST have:
- Ph.D. degree in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or related discipline.
- Post-doctoral experience in Bioinformatics and Genomics.
- Expertise in computerized data analysis, database management, and computer programming sufficient for the analysis of genomic datasets
- Programming experience in environments such as Linux, Bioconductor R, Perl and/or Python.
- Experience with microbial genomics analysis (e.g. genome assembly/refinement/polishing; treatment of sequencing errors; annotation of open reading frames, transcriptional start sites, and mobile genetic elements; sequence variant analysis; phylogenetic analysis, including Bayesian approaches; analysis of mutational rates and mutational spectra; RNA-seq data analysis)
As a workforce advocate for over 70 years, we are proud to have a role in managing employment opportunities for more than one million workers around the globe. We employ 550,000 of these individuals directly with the remaining workers engaged through our talent supply chain network of supplier partners. Revenue in 2015 was $5.5 billion. Visit kellyservices.com and connect with us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Kelly Services is an equal opportunity employer including, but not limited to, Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities, Protected Veterans, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.