Requisition ID: 112280
Job Level: Entry Level
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
We are an innovative and collaborative team of designers that prepare submittal and field installation drawings, hydraulic calculations, and submittal data for fire protection systems based on the requirements set by NFPA code standards, the International Building Code, and the Local Authority or fire marshal. The position is entry level and will require weeks of hands on training provided by the company. The training will involve directed classroom training, directed field training, and a significant amount of self-directed training and research.
The entry level designer will be expected to learn how to read construction drawings, prepare fire protection installation drawings and hydraulic calculations, prepare material stock lists, visit the construction jobsites to review actual field conditions, and troubleshoot installation conflicts in the field.
This position, being a part of the construction industry, is extremely schedule and deadline driven. The key attributes needed for this position are Drive, Adaptability, and Effective Intelligence (learning a principle and applying it to unique situations). The most successful candidates will exhibit the qualities of humility, integrity, and team-ability.
We are looking for resilient candidates that can learn new things quickly, have a curious mind and are not afraid to ask questions, able to adapt to changes, meet deadlines, and be humble enough to learn from mistakes.
Continental Fire Sprinkler Company is a full-service fire suppression company that designs, installs, services and inspects fire protection systems with the highest commitment to customer safety and satisfaction. Continental Fire Sprinkler has the expertise and resources to handle every aspect of fire sprinkler protection for any size project. Our professionals are among the most qualified and capable in the industry, allowing us to offer a full spectrum of services. With talented people and extensive resources, Continental Fire Sprinkler Company has completed a wide range of projects within 46 different states throughout the nation since 1971. Our headquarters are in Omaha, NE, with area offices in Davenport, IA; Des Moines, IA; and Hanover, MD.
We are extremely proud to be a part of the life safety industry, saving lives and property by designing, installing and servicing fire protection systems.
We pride ourselves on developing internal talented people into the managers and leaders of the future. Our success is evidenced by the number of successful, long-term Continental employees currently on our staff. We commit extensive resources to training and developing our people through formal programs and hands-on experience. Our experienced personnel, use of innovative technology, and genuine dedication to customer service has established us as a trusted source for fire protection services.
This position is based out of our main office in Omaha, Nebraska or our area offices in Des Moines, Iowa; Davenport, Iowa and Hanover, Maryland.
- Design fire suppression systems including wet, dry, pre-action, and foam fire sprinkler systems
- Detailing of shop drawings (field installation drawings and hydraulic calculations), field engineering (on the jobsite support and review), and operation planning (field installation support)
- Compile and prepare plan submittals (shop drawings) and material submittals for review by architects, engineers, clients, and authorities having jurisdiction
- Coordinate fire sprinkler design with the building structure and other MEP subcontractors
- Prepare project material stocklists to be used for material procurement
- Oversee project scheduling, quantity tracking, material fabrication and procurement
- Contract administration and communication with the general contractor and authority having jurisdiction
- Prepare “as-built” drawings for in-house archive and client files
- NFPA Codes and Building Code research
- Currently pursuing or a recent graduate in an Engineering, Fire Protection Engineering, Engineering Technology, Construction Management, or related degree preferred (Associates degree also considered), or 1-2 years fire sprinkler design experience, or 2+ years direct construction related experience
- Experience and familiarity with MS Excel, Word, and AutoCAD preferred
- Ability to travel to construction jobsites and other office locations as the business requires (25%-50%), exposed to wide-ranging climates and environments
- Able to learn how to read construction, engineering, architectural, and structural plans
- High level of self-discipline and ability to operate in a team environment
- Highly motivated with a passion for excellence and taking initiative
- Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
- A passion for safety and ensuring that nobody gets hurt
- Having humility to learn from mistakes and not make the same mistakes twice
- Able to move between working with a team to working independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
- Organized, time and deadline conscious, and attention to detail
- Absent an approved exemption, due to federal, state, local, provincial and/or client-requirements, this position may require an individual to be fully vaccinated by an FDA-approved or authorized COVID-19 vaccine upon hire and as a condition of continued employment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Architectural Drawing
- Attention To Detail
- Auto Cad