Job ID: 150975
Tilcon Connecticut Inc., a CRH company, has played a vital role in building infrastructure around our state, serving the market from 23 locations throughout Connecticut. As a leading supplier of quality crushed stone, hot mix asphalt, and ready mix concrete, Tilcon Connecticut has supported the construction of superior roads, buildings and bridges. The most respected name in the construction industry, from the quarry to the road, Tilcon Connecticut does it all!
Are you looking for opportunities and benefits of a large corporation with a small company feel? Then Tilcon Connecticut Inc. and CRH is the company for you! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today!
Tilcon Connecticut has an opening for an experienced Paving Superintendent. The paving superintendent will be responsible for overseeing the daily activities of paving crews with a major emphasis on mentoring and training new forepersons and new employees. Duties are performed under limited supervision. The superintendent will be competent in paving techniques, mentoring, and ensure adherence to company policies and procedures. The superintendent may travel statewide for periods of time to assist paving crews. This role will also work closely with our Project managers and estimators. The selected candidate will be required to work in a team environment with other co-workers and managers.
Our core values are safety, quality and integrity in everything we do. All Tilcon Connecticut, Inc. employees are expected to partner with associates and management of the Company to coordinate, support, and actively promote our safety culture, policies and procedures. You will establish key internal relationships to help ensure safety continues to be embedded in the culture of our Company.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Attend Pre-Construction meetings with DOT and Municipal Customers
- Attend Intercompany scheduling and coordination meetings
- Travel between paving projects to oversee and/or make suggestions to assist paving forepersons when necessary in terms of the following:
- Crew scheduling
- Truck scheduling
- Jb layout
- Quality and cmpaction issues
- Prper completion of paperwork
- Mentring/training new employees
- Paving techniques
- Assist with temporary crews (grade, shoulder, or handwork) as needed.
- Assist Paving Coordinator with subcontractor scheduling as needed.
- Assist Paving Coordinator by reviewing job sites to ensure they are ready for paving.
- Assist as needed with management of the transportation division.
- Assist with traffic control when needed.
- Communicate with plant forepersons as necessary to ensure maximum efficiency with hot mix delivery.
- Supervise and direct other personnel and general interaction with other managers and staff.
- Identify and resolve regulatory, safety, state, personnel, and production problems, either directly or indirectly, in a timely and effective manner.
- Attend weekly toolbox talks throughout the state and conduct them if necessary.
- Be familiar with and ensure proper and timely completion of equipment/vehicle condition report
- Adhere to any and all state and federal regulations, if applicable, as set forth by the US Department of Transportation (DOT), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA), or any other regulatory agency.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Report to the assigned job site in uniform and ready to begin work at the designated start time.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures.
- Strict adherence to company policies and procedures.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Assist with Interviewing and hiring process as necessary.
- Planning, assigning, and directing work.
- Willingness to develop subordinates’ technical and leadership skills and make recommendations for new job opportunities when appropriate.
- Effective management of employee performance through coaching, feedback (written and verbal), rewards, and discipline when necessary.
- Appraising performance.
- Addressing complaints and resolving problems in a timely manner.
- Lead by example.
- Ability to get work done through others using effective delegation, scheduling, and time management practices.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Associate’s degree in Civil or Construction Engineering; five or more years of industry experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to read and interpret documents, reports and company manuals. Ability to write detailed correspondence, effectively present information and be able to respond to questions from management, staff, customers and the general public.
- Ability to recognize problems and put forth reasonable solutions by establishing the facts. Ability to interpret data from reports, project specification or project plans.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and dependable transportation to and from the job site.
- Ability to complete necessary mathematical equations.
- Must demonstrate the ability to use a computer to communicate and analyze data. This includes but is not limited to the use of Outlook, MS Office programs, construction software and web-based programs.
- Be familiar with all roles, equipment, and tasks associated with your project(s) and have the ability and willingness to fill in on any role or task as necessary.
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and general public at all times.
- Ability to interact with sub-contractors, state and local officials, other employees, and different levels of management.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is required to sit, walk, and stand.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works near heavy equipment and trucks and is frequently exposed to existing weather conditions, fumes, or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
What CRH Americas Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
About CRH Americas
CRH Americas has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the CRH Americas family. CRH Americas operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
CRH Americas is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the CRH Americas family!
Tilcon Connecticut Inc. is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this URL blocked - click to apply.
Occupational Health And Safety Administration (Osha)
Occupational Safety And Health
Project Management Information System