Optum Behavioral Health is seeking a VP, Government Operations (East Region). The VP, Behavioral Health C&S will serve as a member of the Behavioral Health Solutions & Pricing leadership team and be accountable for C&S Behavioral Health lines of business for the assigned region. This is a critical leadership position that has P&L accountability for Behavioral Health’s biggest client group. This position will have executive accountability for the behavioral solutions portfolio for assigned C&S markets, continuously reviewing the portfolio of offerings with key data and insights to determine how to evolve the portfolio to best serve our customers. This executive will work closely with the Behavioral Health Executive Directors of each market to support the evolution of strategies and approaches to the respective customer needs and enhancing the portfolio based on the voice of the member and customer.
The VP, Government Operations will have an in-depth understanding of as well as deep knowledge of risk benefit design, management and pricing. This executive will work across the Behavioral Health organization to guide decisions on pricing of products and solutions for C&S. This will be done in close collaboration with BH Solutions & Pricing leadership, Product Development, Health Care Economics, Underwriting, Actuarial, Finance, Growth and Optum Health Engagement.
If you are located in the East Region, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* as you take on some tough challenges.
- VP supports re-procurement opportunities and greenfield opportunities
- VP supports special projects of importance to C&S and OBH
- Role must partner effectively with C&S market CEOs, CMOs, and RCEOs, as well as OBH and C&S Solutioning, OBH Affordability and Actuarial, and Finance
- Role must drive client satisfaction, sound financial and operational decision making
- Manages regionally aligned market-based teams in partnership with health plan leadership
- Leads market insights and innovation, bringing value to C&S RCEOs and CEOs
- Drives Risk Benefit Management and Development – encompasses core Behavioral Coverage as well as broader specific benefit solution design
- Prioritizes and optimizes current portfolio of offerings - drives and owns priorities on enhancements to existing offerings
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience including experience in insurance product management, healthcare benefit plan design and implementation, behavioral benefit plan design and implementation and/or underwriting and pricing
- Experience in Medicaid, Medicare and waiver programs
- Demonstrated healthcare industry knowledge in a combination of the following areas: healthcare benefits and services; sales and customer account management; underwriting and actuarial services; emerging healthcare trends.
- Proven track record of effective P&L management at scale
- Proven ability to create and sustain meaningful relationships with clients and customers
- Proven success of developing a vision and implementing the strategies and tactics to execute in a highly matrixed environment
- Proven track record of motivating and leading large teams to produce quality results and focus on innovation
- Prior experience in a risk-based product organization, behavioral healthcare highly preferred
- Proven track record of accomplishing work through others and inspiring others through times of ambiguity
- Superior conceptual, analytical and financial acumen
- Exceptional executive communication skills and proven ability to influencing thinking of C-Suite executives
- Experience delivering results with large-scale, cross-functional teams in highly matrixed organizations
- Experience managing and prioritizing multiple projects to ensure their quality and on-time delivery
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained
- Graduate Degree (MBA, MHA)
- Prior experience working with behavioral health
- Prior experience working with Medicaid and/or Community & State
- Operational experience (operations, product development, marketing, finance, sales, etc.)
- Product Development experience
- Actuarial or Underwriting background
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $130,300 to $250,200. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: insurance product management, healthcare benefit plan design, implementation