Fort Dearborn Company is a leader in printed labels for the consumer products industry. Join Fort Dearborn and you will have the opportunity to become part of an organization that is committed to excellence and industry leadership for almost 100 years.
The primary responsibility for the Quality-Operations Excellence Manager position is to:
- Drive daily adherence to the Quality Management System and
- Serve as lean subject matter expert - continuous improvement leader for the facility
- Drives quality improvement efforts to establish and enforce an effective Quality Management System (QMS).
- Uses Lean Six Sigma methodology to support Lean initiatives, improve processes and reduce defects.
- Manages supplier quality and ensures a process is in place to provide feedback to suppliers when defects are found and ensure corrective actions are received.
- Establishes and implements various training programs including in order to drive cultural change and to assure high levels of expertise, support and compliance in areas related to quality system functions.
- Coaches and develops plant Quality Technicians in effective use of quality tools such as root cause counter measure (RCCM), measurement systems analysis (MSA), and statistical process control (SPC) and quality management systems. (QMS).
- Leads the facility quality efforts and defines areas of responsibility, personnel requirements and operational procedures.
- Establishes effective quality management system by updating quality assurance manual and procedures.
- Ensures that Change Management procedures are followed and communicated to all affected associates.
- Reviews and standardizes control plans, closed loop corrective action systems and quality management systems in all plants.
- Assures adherence to internal audit plan to verify plant adherence to FDC quality management system.
- Assures supplier quality by enforcing quality assurance standards, policies and industry/government requirements.
- Collaborates with other members of the quality organization to share best practices and ensure standardization across business units.
- Monitors the performance of the Quality Management System through data analysis and adherence to standards.
- Works with facility management team to achieve overall financial objectives, reduce customer credits by making fiscally responsible business decisions and initiating corrective actions to prevent systemic issues from occurring.
Operational Excellence – Lean Transformation:
- Work with the Lean Steering Committee, Plant Manager, and on-site Lean experts in identifying activities, values and selecting Kaizen events and ensure proper resourcing / preparation for events.
- Ensure Lean activities are linked to the business objectives and develop a site transformation plan in collaboration with the site management team.
- Ensure pre-event training, preparation for events, development and implementation of a communication plan, post event follow-up and auditing of results, prompt delivery of required supplies and materials, and mentoring KPO team members.
- Build and maintain the foundation for continuous improvement by ensuring the effective functioning of transformation activities aligned to a Lean Operating System.
- Partner and mentor Fort Dearborn manufacturing leadership in Lean techniques, resulting in transformational progress.
- Teach Lean tools to all levels of the organization (Kaizen, 5S, TPM, Set-up reduction, Standard Work, Visual Management, SQDC boards, MDI, etc.).
- Assume the role of consultant, participant, and/ or lead on Kaizen events.
- Foster a culture of moving forward in a change environment and continuously assuring buy-in and ownership at all levels.
- Maintaining overall program tracking for impact and cultural improvements.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; achieving certifications, establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Below are the minimum requirements of the education, experience, knowledge, and skills required to competently perform in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelors Degree in engineering, manufacturing technology or Business Administration (related technical discipline may be considered). 10 years of direct experience with requisites in lieu of degree.
- Minimum of 10 years in leadership role in one or more of the areas of quality, engineering, manufacturing and/or lean deployment, with minimum of 5 years in multisite quality leadership and 2 years in position responsible for lean transformation.
- Demonstrated problem solver with direct experience coaching, teaching, and applying lean sigma, six sigma and/or lean manufacturing techniques.
- Skilled in statistical process control, change management, and legacy quality tools such as PDCA, FMEA, control plans, etc required. Strong change management skills and demonstrated experience changing a culture to a Lean environment.
- Experience successfully leading and directing employees who are not direct reports.
- Experience in being a change agent leading complex transformational activities. Personal experience in leading more than 25 Kaizen events.
- Proven success designing, implementing, communicating, meeting policy deployment goals, including improving through-put, shortening cycle time, improving inventory turns, reducing supply chain costs
- Certified Lean (lean certification such as TBM, Shinghijutsu, Danaher etc.)
- Six Sigma or CQE required (ASQ or equivalent)
- Fort Dearborn offers a competitive wage and generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance and 401(k).
- Travel up 40%.
Fort Dearborn welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Fort Dearborn Company is an equal opportunity employer.
Quality Management Systems
Lean Six Sigma
Failure Mode Effects Analysis
Statistical Process Controls
Corrective And Preventive Actions