Responsible for the direction and administration of the Accounting Department. Ensures that established policies and procedures are followed. Responsible for supervising and directing accounting functions, including general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, fixed asset, and inventory. Additionally responsible for supervising and directing payment processing functions, including ACH, share draft exceptions, wires, and specialized account services including IRAs, trusts, POAs and decedent accounts. Reviews and reconciles data, and participates in the development of specialized financial data. Oversees and prepares entries and adjustments to Credit Union records, files, and statements. Provides Credit Union managers with information necessary to decision making. Directs, trains, and assists in supervising and appraising accounting personnel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
Assumes responsibility for the effective performance of all accounting department functions.
- Ensures that accounting / payment processing / specialized account functions and duties are accurately and promptly completed.
- Prepares journal entries and balances work in the more complicated areas.
- Supervises and maintains the Credit Union's fixed asset portfolio. Prepares depreciation schedules and catalogs furniture, fixtures, and equipment.
- Researches and resolves accounting errors and discrepancies.
- Supervises the accounts payable function. Monitors costs and expenses.
- Ensures functions are completed in accordance with established Credit Union procedures and applicable regulations.
- Prepares regulatory and governmental reports. Reviews financial information needed to ensure an accurate statement of the Credit Union's financial position to various regulatory agencies.
- Facilitates ACH audit.
Effectively supervises the Accounting Department, ensuring optimal performance.
- Provides leadership to personnel through effective objective setting, delegation, and communication. Conducts regular meetings to ensure that personnel are well informed of changes in policies and procedures. Discusses areas needing improvement.
- Trains and directs accounting staff. Completes orientation of new employees. Performs cross-training as necessary. Provides support as needed.
- Monitors tasks, roles and procedures, and continually seeks ways to improve operations and productivity and to meet established goals.
- Ensures requests and questions are promptly resolved.
- Is cross trained in all accounting / payment processing / specialized account functions, acts as primary backup to staff.
- Keeps management/Service Team informed of activities, progress toward established objectives, and of any significant problems. Requests assistance when necessary. Ensures that deadlines are met.
- Attends assigned training sessions and stays current on new operational, regulatory, vendor and Credit Union changes
- Assists with performance appraisals as required.
- Assists in approving all sick leave, vacation, overtime, and time cards for each department employee. Keeps accurate payroll and attendance records and brings any attendance issues to the attention of management and the respective employee
- Assists with formulating and implementing corrective actions as needed.
Assumes responsibility for establishing and maintaining effective business relations with vendors, governmental agencies, and outside business and accounting professionals.
- Supervises the accounts payable function.
- Responds to questions and problems politely and promptly.
- Ensures that outside contacts are properly informed.
- Ensures that the Credit Union's professional reputation is projected and maintained.
Assumes responsibility for maintaining effective communication and coordination with Credit Union personnel and with management.
- Assists area personnel as needed.
- Maintains regular contact with other departments to obtain information and/or to correct transactions.
- Keeps management informed of area activities and of any significant problems or concerns.
Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
- Stays informed of developments in the accounting field and of changing governmental and legal requirements.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Ensures that work area is clean, secure, and well maintained.
- Documents, financial reports, tax documents, and related reports are accurately and timely completed and/or filed.
- Errors are promptly detected and resolved.
- Department functions are conducted in accordance with established policies and related legal requirements.
- Accounting personnel are efficient, effective, well trained and appropriately directed. Accounting operations are properly coordinated.
- Good business relations exist with governmental agencies, vendors and outside business contacts.
- Good communication and coordination exist with Credit Union personnel and with management. Assistance is provided as needed. Management is provided with useful, specialized reports as needed.
- Management / Service Team is appropriately informed of area activities and of any significant problems. Suggestions are provided for improved efficiency or effectiveness.
- Associate accounting degree or an equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Technical knowledge of accounting and payment processing concepts, practices, procedures, and financial reports.
- Understanding of related regulations, statutes, and filing requirements.
- Knowledge of related computer applications.
- Three years or more of accounting and related supervisory experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, and supervisory skills.
- Well organized and attentive to detail.
- Able to meet deadlines and manage projects.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
Customer Relationship Management
Resolve Customer Issue
Achieve Client Need