The Environmental; Engineer at Cleveland Cliffs Riverdale is an important member of a small team that works throughout our steelmaking facility to promote environmental stewardship as well helping to improve our environmental performance. This is accomplished by collaborating with the departmental teams Environmental compliance across all media: air, water, and waste, is the core goal incorporated into all responsibilities of this position.
- Perform safety audits, hazard assessments and safety observations
- Identify opportunities for improvement in environmental controls and efficiencies
- Develop proficiency in Title 35 IEPA regulations
- Environmental ISO 14001 Coordinator. Manage the ISO 14001 program including audits, documentation, and environmental CPARs.
- Perform required waste and water sampling activities and coordinate testing with outside laboratories.
- Maintain, calibrate and service sampling and monitoring equipment.
- Provide support for the facilities radiation license and program.
- Reconcile documentation for environmental activities.
- Develop work instruction and procedures for environmental activities.
- Support procurement process relative to environmental issues.
- Understand all aspects of the facility’s Title V CAAP.
- Perform VE reads as required.
- Oversee and assist in maintaining the fugitive dust program
- Understand all aspects of the NPDES discharge permit and support all compliance requirements
- Work with water system maintenance and compliance, including working with necessary vendors and contractors
- Assist with outfall inspections and compliance including water chemistries, water treatment programs.
- Understand the water system interactions with production facilities including sanitary sewer systems.
- Coordinate implementation of the SPCC program (spill responses)
- Oversee environmental clean-up regarding incidents or spills as required
- Manage the waste programs and required facility training
- Oversee profile renewal and development process
- Administrate RCRA compliance and training (involves Hazardous and Universal Waste management)
- Identify opportunities for beneficial re-use and recycling initiatives
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and troubleshooting skills
- Knowledge of environmental regulations (Illinois and Federal)
- Ability to read blueprints and schematics
- Computer skills, including word processing and spreadsheet programs
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in Environmental Management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental or Civil Engineering or Environmental Science
Applicants for this position must be currently legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. The company generally does not sponsor candidates for temporary visas or permanent residency for this position.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to or call
- Ten (10) years of relevant work experience preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Radiation trained (40 hour)
- Certified VE reader
1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that ALL Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: [ Link removed ] and [ Link removed ] . We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
- Environmental Resource Management
- Waste Management
- Environmental Compliance
- Resource Conservation And Recovery Act (Rcra)
- Environmental Laws