To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Alexandria, VA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Item Processing Specialist II
Pentagon Federal Credit Union • Alexandria, VA
Posted 12 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Item Processing Specialist II
PenFed is hiring an Item Processing Specialist II in our Kingstowne Branch in Alexandria, VA. The primary purpose of this job is to import, process, reconcile PenFed Inclearing, and Return x937 image files from the Federal Reserve Bank via Axway Secure Transport X937 Check21 file transfer into the Check21 database ensuring the received image files in Check21 balance to the Federal Reserve Bank debit advice. This position will supports the Item Processing Specialist I with researching and processing collateralized loan payoff checks received from members, financial institutions, and dealerships in accordance with established PenFed policy and procedures.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Detect and report potential fraud transactions, checks, and suspicious account activity to management for further investigation and referral to BSA and FSO for additional review and compliance with provisions of the Bank Secrecy Act.
- Ensure all member documents that contain nonpublic personal information are secure and undisclosed for compliance with Regulation P of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act under guidelines enforced by the CFPB regulatory agency.
- Perform MICR code line repair for incomplete or inaccurate on-us item images imported from the Federal Reserve Bank using integrated data processing systems and software applications.
- Balance imported image file data while ensuring no duplication of presented items occurs.
- Transmit the on-us posting file to the core processor via remote desktop connection to the RDS terminal server using the MOVEit secure transfer software for corresponding Hogan batch and sequential posting of checks transactions.
- Follow up with IT Data Center via telephone to verify the transmitted file balances to the appropriate Mobius report.
- Prepare Inclearing Excel formatted balance worksheet and distribute to the Accounting Department and other appropriate staff members.
- Verify image files were successfully imported into Image Center from the FiServ and FundTech databases for each application.
- Perform MICR code line repair on item images for incomplete data fields using Check21 formatting codes for Federal Reserve Bank presentment and processing of x937 check image files.
- Balance repaired Remote Deposit image files to FiServ item capture report and repaired Branch Capture image files to accumulated daily branch totals.
- Distribute balanced image files from Image Center to the Check 21 server for export file preparation to the Federal Reserve Bank.
- Prepare POD Excel formatted balance worksheet and distribute to the Accounting Department and other appropriate staff members.
- Open and sort mail either manually or using the OPEX mail machines 50, 51, and 7.5. Prepare mail for proper run distribution according to the defined run types.
- Run prepared work down the sorter using the CAR (character recognition) program and ICS PC to capture images. Must be able to clear jams on the sorter and perform QA review for image quality to insure the system is capturing clear and accurate images for processing. Inform management of any problems with hardware or software above operator level.
- Perform exact code line repair for all misread or missing check MICR fields using Check21 format codes for correct placement of data within the x937 image file to the Federal Reserve Bank to avoid check processing clearing delays and non-cash adjustment debits from FED.
- Perform data entry of all header types using the Remittance software application for all unidentified or misread credit fields including all PenFed account types and general ledger offsets.
- Upon completion of data entry, balance each batch of debits and credits and update the header batch total with correct batch amount prior to the export of the mail files to Image Center.
- Research incomplete deposits/payments sent by members and bill pay companies for credit to PenFed accounts, using various PenFed systems and/or reports, including but not limited to Hogan, FDR, TWIPS, RemitPlus and Mobius reports.
- Identify and return non-negotiable or unidentifiable deposits and payments to the members or bill pay companies that cannot be processed by further research using PenFed systems or reports.
- Clean and perform preventative maintenance functions on all mail opening equipment as required. Identify and report equipment failures to management for further action and possible vendor follow up.
- Open, sort, log and prepare for processing all departmental controlled mail received from the USPS, UPS, FEDEX, and any other overnight delivery service and record applicable tracking numbers for research purposes.
- Sort incoming mail for delivery to various PenFed departments.
- Using the Hasler mail equipment and system, process the outgoing metered mail in accordance with USPS delivery standards and postal guidelines. Prepare the outgoing controlled mail following UPS procedures and mailing deadlines.
- Receive and process auto loan payoffs in accordance with PenFed policy and procedures.
- Using the CMS title processing application and information provided from the payoff check or documentation, perform perfected title releases for all applicable payoff transactions.
- Correspond with Collateral Control, member and/or dealership on payoffs that are short or titles that are not perfected.
- Assist Specialist I with payoffs in deciphering notes in CMS, answering questions with regards to titles that are not perfected and helping with complex questions asked by dealership.
- Keep management, BSA, DCC, and FSO informed of possible fraudulent situations that involve returned checks.
- Monitor and receive large dollar return notifications using the EARNS network, placing holds and restraints on accounts as required.
- Import return item image files via Axway secure transport from the Federal Reserve Bank. Create and print Check21 IRD documents from imported image file.
- Reconcile incoming cash letters for returns to daily debit advice presented from the Federal Reserve Bank.
- Researches unidentifiable information through various systems: TWIPS, Image Center, Encore Teller, Hogan, FDR, FiServ, and Connex and Mobius reports.
- Debit member accounts and assess appropriate fees for chargeback transactions using Hogan posting screens. For items not eligible for chargeback in Hogan, offset the applicable general ledger account on the GL summary to clear FedReturn GL.
- Upon completion of Hogan chargeback or general ledger entry, daily sends or transmits return checks to various PenFed departments: item processing, DCC, Collateral Control, Credit Cards, FSO, IRA, Mortgage Servicing and accounting for final return check processing.
- Update daily production reports.
- Prepare PeopleSoft daily balancing summaries for Accounting.
- Prepare and mail chargeback letters for notification of return checks to members.
- Maintain daily or monthly production reports as directed by management.
- Assist management with training of Specialist I by answering questions, verifying procedures and providing guidance.
- Answer telephone and email questions from MSR’s with regard to payment postings, misapplied payments and charge back items.
Education and Experience
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- High School Diploma or a combination of education and experience that provides the necessary skills and knowledge to satisfactorily perform the essential job functions.
- Minimum of two (2) year of related experience is required.
- 10-key experience is required.
- Experience using standard computer software such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of financial institution structure, products, policies and procedures preferred.
This position will not supervise employees.
Licenses and Certifications
There are no additional certifications required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
* Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Ability to travel to various worksites and be on-call may be required.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 1.6 million members and over $23 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico, Okinawa, and Portugal. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
Our mission isn’t simply to help our members get by. We exist to help them realize every ounce of their potential. We exist to educate, and to encourage. We exist to usher their dreams into the land of reality.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 571-289-4710.