Gerdau Long Steel North America is a leader in mini-mill steel production and steel recycling in North America, with an annual manufacturing capacity of approximately 10 million metric tons of mill finished steel products. Through a vertically integrated network of mini-mills, scrap recycling facilities and downstream operations, the company serves customers throughout the U.S. and Canada, offering a diverse and balanced product mix of merchant steel, rebar, structural shapes, fabricated steel, flat rolled steel and wire rod.
Why you will love working at Gerdau:
At Gerdau our employees are the best in the business. We have high standards and our employees constantly strive to reach even higher levels of success. Gerdau's growth is based on our values and on a vision focused on excellence. The measures of performance are customer satisfaction, the personal and professional growth of each employee, total safety in the workplace, a commitment to our stakeholders, employees, and communities, and profit. Gerdau’s rewards are designed to start you off on your career with a balanced picture for both your short-term goals and your long-term success.
This is your purpose:
You will perform maintenance necessary to keep plant, equipment, machinery, and tools in good operating condition. Your work involves a wide range of methods and procedures on a variety of routine and non-routine duties to adequately and properly diagnose, dismantle, repair, lubricate, and reassemble equipment. You will troubleshoot basic mechanical assemblies to determine whether a pump, gearbox, hydraulic system or pneumatic system can be repaired or needs to be replaced, whether to replace or repair worn parts, and amount of lubrication needed.
What you will do:
- Work from drawings, sketches, wiring diagrams, machine operation and maintenance manuals, work order requests, and oral instructions to install, adjust, repair, and perform assigned maintenance duties.
- Position, fit and weld components to assemble structural forms, machinery frames, plant equipment, attachments or accessories, and building parts according to blueprints or knowledge of structural and metal characteristics. Utilize various specialty cutting and welding equipment.
- Troubleshoot and service pumps, gear boxes, motors, cranes, and hydraulic, and pneumatic systems as needed at an intermediate level.
- Periodically inspect conditions of plant operating machines and equipment for preventative maintenance purposes. Inspects and performs routine equipment care on all shop machinery, mobile equipment, and cranes.
- Tear down, replace, repair, install, and assemble simple equipment parts, components, and accessories.
- Cus, bend, and thread conduit, pipe, and tubing.
- Maintain specified records of work performed, details of repairs, and material usage.
- Require interpretation of schematics/blueprints at an intermediate level.
- Operate mobile equipment to lift and transport materials including loaders, cranes, man-lifts, brick-lift, and forklifts.
- Ensure daily preventative maintenance is performed on vehicles/mobile equipment to include fueling, cleaning, checking and adding fluid as needed.
- Follow all PPE requirements and safety rules/guidelines for all tasks being performed.
- Assist in training of coworkers as needed.
- Maintain communication with coworkers through two-way radio and hand signals.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a self-directed team with limited supervision.
- Maintain work area and equipment in a clean and orderly condition.
- Engagement in GBS tools and methodology.
- Assist maintenance personnel as needed.
What you have:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- AAS in industrial maintenance and maintenance reliability certifications are preferred.
- Verifiable maintenance technical training.
- Understanding of shop mathematics with the use of drawings, specifications, charts, tables, and precision measuring instruments.
- Experience working in an industrial environment in a position containing a routine maintenance component.
- 3 to 5 years of heavy industrial mechanical maintenance experience.
- Advanced knowledge of the following maintenance disciplines: AC/DC motors, gear box mechanics, lubrication principles, welding, cutting torch, NFPA 70E, and common maintenance hand tools.
- Intermediate knowledge of pumps, gearboxes, hydraulic systems, pneumatic systems, stick and tig welding and rigging principles.
- Ability to climb stairs, climb ladders, reach, squat, tolerate prolonged standing/walking, balance, bend, operate mobile equipment, crawl, kneel, and push and pull objects.
- Reach, squat, and tolerate prolonged sitting.
- Ability to lift up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to operate hand controls with both hands and foot pedals with both feet.
- Ability to perform sustained overhead reaching.
- Ability to work in extreme ambient temperatures up to 160°F.
- Ability to work in cramped quarters and at heights.
- Ability to work a rotating shift schedule including days, nights and weekends.
- Ability to tolerate working in areas where noise levels can reach 120 decibels.
What Gerdau offers you:
- Comprehensive Medical, Prescription, Dental, Vision Plans
- Health & Dependent Care (Flexible Spending Account)
- 100% Matching 401K up to 6%
- Life/Accidental Life Insurance
- Health Advocate Services
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Career Path System and Training
- An empowering and open culture with the opportunity to grow and create
Nearest Major Market: Richmond
Rigging (Sailing Ship)
Gas Tungsten Arc Welding