We're looking for a visionary news leader who understands rich/unique/local news content and social engagement on multiple platforms and can lead for the future. The Director of Digital Content for WTIC FOX61, TEGNA's FOX affiliate in Hartford/New Haven, will serve as a member of the senior news management team and lead the publication and distribution of engaging, compelling content across multiple platforms with storytelling that is optimized for each screen. Looking for a leader to transform newsroom culture to better serve our audiences. Must be expert at leading a growing team, training varying levels of digital/social competence to perform at the highest level and implementing exceptional, engaged content on digital properties. This includes, but is not limited to: breaking news coverage, weather events, special project content, franchise support, social media, text/email updates/alerts/contests, and various digital revenue products available to our audience on FOX61.com, mobile apps, social and voice platforms, and more. Works closely with the News Director to prioritize and set short- and long-term goals. Must be a team player dedicated to continuous improvement, staff engagement and driven to perform at a superior level. This person will play a key role in charting the station's digital content and growth strategy.
In this role, you will:
- Manage the digital content team and lead digital strategy to grow multi-platform content, audience and engagement
- Be the voice of innovation in the newsroom and inspire others to follow your lead
- Lead our newsrooms to develop workflows that deliver our content 24/7 across current and future platforms with storytelling that is optimized for each screen
- Analyze and actively use data and metrics to inform editorial and strategic decisions and to create accountability for results
- Actively partner with the news director and marketing director to create three-screen synergy (TV, digital, mobile) around station content and campaigns
- Oversee all station efforts in social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and other emerging platforms.
- Lead the content team in identifying new content types and innovative technologies that help us reach and serve new audiences
- Create unique, engaging, and shareable content
- Be a resource for Sales in its content generation and digital sponsorship efforts
- Teach, coach, and mentor both members of the digital team and the entire newsroom in best practices for writing and producing content for digital and social platforms
- Skillfully use social media and digital tools to research, discover and distribute content
- Collaborate with content leaders across TEGNA to maximize the sharing of our content and to leverage innovation and best practices among stations
- Hold newsroom employees accountable to TEGNA's ethical and editorial standards
Here's what you need:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or equivalent experience in the field
- 3-5 years of content experience, including at least 1-2 years managing other digital journalists
- Solid journalistic judgment and a news philosophy that emphasizes accurate, fair and unique local content, along with community engagement
- A deep understanding of social strategy and SEO with the hunger to keep up with emerging trends
- Ability to manage live, breaking news situations and the ability to deal with the rapid pace of news
- Knowledge of online CMS and news production systems along with social newsgathering tools like CrowdTangle and Social News Desk
- Experience analyzing audience data and identifying behavioral trends, Google Analytics experience a plus.
- Passion and vision for emerging media
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. With 62 television stations and two radio stations in 51 markets, TEGNA delivers relevant content and information to consumers across platforms. It is the largest owner of top 4 affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching approximately one-third of all television households nationwide. Each month, TEGNA reaches 50 million adults on-air and approximately 30 million across its digital platforms. TEGNA has been consistently honored with the industry's top awards, including Edward R. Murrow, George Polk, Alfred I. DuPont and Emmy Awards. TEGNA also delivers innovative and unparalleled solutions for advertisers through TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS). TMS is a one-stop shop that helps businesses thrive through an unmatched suite of services and solutions that reach consumers across television, email, social and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA's OTT advertising service. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. For more information, visit URL blocked - click to apply
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.
Coaching And Mentoring