Responsible for the design, configuration, maintenance and renewal of protection & control equipment subsystems on Avangrid’s electric delivery infrastructure in New England (Central Maine Power and United Illuminating). Avangrid’s electric delivery system in New England is approximately 3,000 miles of transmission lines and 350 substations.
Engineering activities for electric transmission and substation system protection projects to ensure safe, timely and cost-effective completion. Conduct analysis, complete estimates and develop engineering standards and criteria to drive the completion of projects. Coordinate with other departments, vendors, and consultants in order to complete projects in a timely and cost effective manner.
Ensure all protection system designs meet applicable company, local, state, and national codes and standards (NESC, FERC, NERC, NPCC, NYISO, ISO-NE, NY PSC, ME PUC, CT PUC, etc.).
Major Roles & Responsibilities
- Perform engineering design, estimating, and analysis of the electric transmission and substation protection systems in support of capital construction budget and keeping system performance enhancement in line with budget. Perform engineering calculations. Review and approve detailed protection system designs, including settings, testing, and commissioning developed both internally and by contractors and consultants. (30%)
- Develop system protection engineering criteria, construction standards, design and equipment specifications, and requirements for engineering suppliers and contractors. Demonstrate new technology value in terms of safety, cost and other efficiencies and implement it to enhance power system performance. (15%)
- Perform engineering studies to evaluate equipment and protection system performance and effectiveness, and analyzes operational issues in support of system reliability and operational efficiency. Develop and validate information needed for engineering analyses and apply engineering judgment to solve complex technical problems. (15%)
- Review and approve work of engineering contractors who provide system protection engineering and design services to ensure compliance with company standards, specifications, and contract requirements. Develop technical specifications, standards, contracts and purchase orders. Direct engineering contractors and consultants performing system protection roles. (15%)
- Analyze transmission fault event operations to ensure protection scheme operated as intended. Develop and provide clear and concise fault analysis reports to management depicting corrective actions and lessons learned when necessary. (15%)
- Represent the company on regional and national committees. (5%)
- Serve as mentor in the technical development of lower level engineers and cross-department employees. (5%)
Education & Experience Required
- 5 - 10 years of experience in Engineering.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering / Technology.
- MS in Engineering preferred.
- Registered Professional Engineer or ability to obtain certification
- Advanced knowledge of power system protection.
- Knowledge of national and international standards, regulations, and compliance requirements associated with power system protection.
- Experience with power system protection applications such as ASPEN Oneliner, ASPEN Line Database.
- Knowledge of IEC-61850 standards.
- Knowledge of FERC/NERC/NPCC and state regulations.
Skills & Abilities Required
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Strong Electrical Design Experience
- Able to perform protection coordination analysis.
- Demonstrate project management skills.
- Proficiency and fluency in power system protection theory, application, standards, design, test, commissioning, and analysis.
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at [ Phone number blocked ] - URL blocked - click to apply or [ Email removed ] - ||