Company DescriptionJob Description
Note: All Applicants must be current City of New York employees serving in a permanent (not provisional) civil service title of Management Auditor or Accountant.
The Office of the New York City Comptroller's Bureau of Audit (Bureau) is responsible for conducting audits and other reviews of matters relating to or affecting the City's finances, operations, and programs. The Bureau is seeking highly motivated candidates to serve as Staff Auditors on various audit projects undertaken by the bureau.
Under the direction of the Audit Supervisor, responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conducts financial and performance audits of City agencies, including programs and activities funded by the City and private entities with City contracts, according to generally accepted government auditing standards;
- Evaluates systems of internal controls, management and operational efficiencies, and effectiveness;
- Participates in the conduct of surveys and other research activities for audits, reviews or special projects; verifies the correctness of data and information;
- Develops and completes plans detailing procedures to meet audit objectives;
- Prepares workpapers for audits and special projects, including spreadsheets, interview write-ups, memos, letters, and reports that reflect audits activities and findings; and,
- Performs related work as directed. Qualifications
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) including or supplemented by 24 semester credits in accounting, including one course each in: advanced accounting, auditing, and cost accounting; and one of the following:
(A) one year of full-time satisfactory experience in management auditing, financial auditing, and/or information technology (IT) auditing; or
(B) a valid Certified Public Accountant license issued by the New York State Education Department; or
(C) a valid Certified Internal Auditor certificate issued by the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA); or
2. A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience equivalent to "1" above. Education and/or experience may be substituted as follows:
(A) two years of full-time satisfactory experience in financial or managerial accounting may be substituted for the one year of experience described in "1(A)" above;
(B) undergraduate or graduate credits from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in management, computer science, public administration, and/or business administration may be substituted for up to 9 semester credits in accounting, on a credit for credit basis.
However, all candidates must have a baccalaureate degree including or supplemented by 15 semester credits in accounting, including one course each in advanced accounting, auditing, and cost accounting, and one of the following: at least one year of the experience described in "1(A)" above or its equivalent; or a Certified Public Accountant license; or a Certified Internal Auditor certificate, as described in "1(B)" or "1(C)" above.
To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level II individuals must have, in addition to meeting the minimum requirements, at least one year of experience as a Management Auditor - Assignment I or at least two years of experience in management auditing, financial auditing, and/or information technology (IT) auditing. Additional Information
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
- Business Administration
- Certified Public Accountant
- Information Technology
- Internal Controls
- Management Accounting