The job can sit anywhere in the US
Application software development, mobile, iOS, Android, VoIP, networking
The Allworx R&D team (located in Rochester, NY) designs and develops the products that drive our company’s growth. Our small engineering team develops the entire Allworx product line – VoIP Phone Systems, IP Phones, PC applications and Mobile applications. Designing a fully integrated product offering from the ground up enables Allworx to provide customers with a comprehensive, effective solution to their business communication needs. Developing our own intellectual property allows us to produce a business phone system product line with an aggressive and advanced feature set, including integration with mobile devices and contacts, and integration with PC apps. The contributions of each Engineer are critical to the success of the company - we have pride in the products we create, and our company has a great amount of pride in us.
As a member of the Advanced Applications Development software team, you will be responsible for the full lifecycle of our products and their features. You will work with members of the Sales, Support and R&D teams to specify the requirements for both our current and next-generation products, implementing phone system features across a wide variety of desktop, mobile, and embedded platforms, and then be expected to architect, deliver and support high quality code that meets those requirements. Allworx Engineers:
Skills & Requirements
- Work with System Engineering to create and document requirements and use cases
- Develop and document designs that fit within or extend the system architecture
- Perform technology investigations and develop prototypes
- Provide work estimates for design and development tasks
- Construct and unit test code on a variety of platforms
- Quickly debug and fix product issues reported by both QA and customers in the field
Smart & Gets Things Done: Would prefer expert level proficiency in programming (more than one of: C, C , Objective C, Java) with experience designing and implementing complex multi-threaded applications and user interfaces.
The rest you can learn. Possessing some of the following skills would be a significant advantage:
- Experience with iOS, Objective C, and native code integration.
- Experience with Android, Java, and NDK.
- Specialized knowledge of communication and protocol stacks (TCP/IP, Web/Internet protocols, etc) and tools (e.g. Wireshark).
- Experience with VoIP or other telecommunications systems and protocols (particularly SIP/RTP).
Allworx designs and delivers high-value business communications systems that are innovative and dependable. Being a wholly owned subsidiary of Windstream Communications, we have the fun and flexibility of a small company with the financial stability of a large company.
Allworx is a company that places a strong emphasis on Engineering – we were founded by Engineers, and strive to hire and retain exceptional Engineers that are in the top 10% in the industry. We asked our team members what they would want to tell you about working here, and here are some of the things they said:
- It’s inviting, fun, and challenging (in a good way)
- Smart co-workers - no slackers
- There's a focus on longer-term quality, not just on getting "something done now" or checking off arbitrary boxes on a schedule
- Flexible hours
- People are given a large amount of autonomy to get their job done
- Collaboration wins over protocol
- Engineering is viewed as an asset, not an overhead cost
The Allworx experience is challenging and rewarding. What you create will have an immediate impact on our customers and our company.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?
College degree in Engineering or a related field and 5-7 years professional level experience with 0-2 years supervisory experience for roles with supervision; or 9 years professional level related Engineering/Technical experience with 0-2 years supervisory experience for roles with supervision; or an equivalent combination of education and professional level related Engineering/Technical experience required.Preferred:
Desired Work Traits & Skills:
- Master of Science Degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Computer Science.
- Eight (8) or more years of professional experience.
- Some level of specialization or expertise in one or more of the following areas: Multi-threaded embedded programming, Communications and protocol stacks (TCP/IP, Web/Internet protocols, etc), embedded control systems, telecommunications, SIP and VoIP, device drivers, Linux, board support packages, device drivers, firmware.
- This position requires mainly self directed management of ones own time and estimation of schedules for assigned tasks and definition of tasks of others.
- Must be comfortable working in an entrepreneurial team focused environment and a quick learner of new skills and technologies.
- Position requires travel less than 10% of the time.
Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. Equal Opportunity Employer including minority/female/disability/veteran; Without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or employment status. Windstream is a drug-free workplace.
Object Oriented Programming
C++ (Programming Language)
Java (Programming Language)
C Sharp (Programming Language)