To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
200 Commerce Street
Smithfield, VA 23430
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Fixed Asset Supervisor
Smithfield Foods • Smithfield, VA
Posted 22 days ago
Are you a motivated, analytical thinker with a penchant for calculating equations and interested in bringing home the BACON? Then you should join us in growing one of America’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods.
The Finance/Accounting team is seeking out driven, detail-oriented professionals to exercise GAAP principles while preserving the superior financial standing of our $15B company.
The Fixed Asset Supervisor performs professional accounting work involving internal orders, fixed assets, capital spending reporting, and other general accounting duties. This is a professional mid-level accounting position requiring a solid understanding of the basic fundamentals and principles of accounting, the organization’s system, and the ability to handle most regular issues independently.Responsibilities
- Performs accounting and internal control responsibilities in accordance with GAAP, SOX 404 and company policy.
- Provides fixed asset support and reporting for the core business as well as joint ventures, partnerships, LLCs, etc., as applicable.
- Supervises the Fixed Asset Accountant and assists, as needed, with internal order and fixed asset management. This includes: creating and releasing internal orders, including budget assignment; closing internal orders and creating new fixed assets; recording asset transfers, retirements and impairments; calculating gains/losses and capitalized interest; and, reconciling the fixed asset subledger and general ledger balances.
- Compiles capital spending information for Corporate personnel and Executive leadership.
- Prepares the cash flow template applicable to fixed assets, researching any tie-out discrepancies.
- Reviews automated depreciation posting for accuracy, manually calculating amounts for new IO closures.
- Reviews tax depreciation and makes changes requested by tax department for bonus and repair regulations.
- Supports quarterly, semi-annual and annual audit, tax and reporting/information requests, specific to fixed assets. These activities require solid knowledge of the financial statements and underlying asset-related accounts to ensure complete and accurate responses.
- Responsible for annual physical existence confirmation of all Corporate assets.
- Proactively manages operations accounting and engineering personnel to ensure asset transactions are recorded timely and in the proper period, with accruals being utilized as needed to maintain financial integrity and GAAP compliance.
- Provides fixed asset leadership for new acquisitions and system conversions. Project phases include blueprinting, testing, system training, data conversion and post go-live financial analysis. Responsible for reviewing, interpreting and converting asset information as well as process definition and documentation. Maintains the integrity of the asset subledger during conversions.
- Administers the KLT lease software. Responsible for collecting approved leases and inputting relevant information, in a timely and accurate manner, into the lease tool. This includes analyzing contracts to identify embedded leases and assessing each subcomponent for proper classification.
- Utilize the lease software to extract financial information, analyze the data for accuracy and post the monthly lease journal entries.
- Performs account reconciliations for assigned general ledger accounts, analyzes account activity and makes appropriate adjusting or correcting entries, if needed.
- Implements system checks/variants to help identify and correct errors before the general ledger is closed.
- Answers fixed asset and lease accounting questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Initiates and manages process improvements for asset accounting by analyzing existing procedures and recommending changes. Reviews and updates business process narratives as necessary.
- Grows knowledge and develops skills by pursuing educational opportunities, reading professional publications, participating in professional organizations and maintaining personal networks.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Accounting or related field and 5+ years related experience and /or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Master's Degree or CPA, preferred.
- Experience acting as a lead by providing training, guidance or mentoring to less experienced staff or managing processes and projects, preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of financial and business principles, including GAAP, and ability to grasp company financial policies and protocols.
- Strong experience with general ledger, account reconciliation and analysis.
- Tax depreciation knowledge.
- Knowledge of SAP ERP software.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Excel and proficient with other Microsoft Office tools.
- Strong decision-making, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Solid math skills.
- Strong multi-tasking, prioritization and organizational skills.
- High degree of accuracy and detail-oriented.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Displays professionalism and integrity.
- Proactive and solution-oriented with the ability to think creatively.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Comfortable in a fast paced, dynamic environment, where tasks and priorities are rapidly changing.
- Responsible for supervision of Fixed Asset team.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.