The Director is responsible for the leadership, department P&L, vendor management and overall management of the commercial appraisal and environmental review function. The incumbent possesses a high level of knowledge of commercial real estate principles and will formulate and direct the implementation both the strategy and policy of a high-volume department. The Director demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the current operational software (RIMS) and establishes performance standards to ensure superior customer service. This position involves significant decision making and problem-solving skills. This includes management and coordination of fluid workflow priorities and interaction with business partners. Daily decisions relative to the specific selection of the appraisal and environmental vendors, report criteria, and report quality and reliability. Under the supervision of the SCO or designee, this position will be responsible for adherence to bank policy and applicable regulations. Ongoing decisions within this position can impact the Bank’s regulatory rating as well as profitability.
- Attain assigned goals, budget objectives and business plan initiatives related to production, service standards and compliance. Provide the leadership of the overall delivery of real property due diligence for lending purposes and oversee the workflow to ensure a responsive, timely and appropriate level of service within budget.
- Partner with internal stakeholders and energize others to work toward accomplishing organizational objectives.
- Monitor regulatory updates, participate in industry events to ensure best practices, and provide annual or interim policy updates to Credit Committee
- Coaching and development of staff to ensure high performing team for multi-state banking organization
- Communication Ongoing communication with business lines to ensure and enhance quality workflow and understanding of property specific due diligence requirements. Provided monthly reporting packages to stakeholders including industry data to Credit Committee.
- Training ongoing Lender and Business Banking training to supplement and support identification of property, identification of potential environmental concerns, skills and training for the RIMs application.
- Vendor Management – supervision of appraisal management process to include vendor qualification, onboarding of new vendors and maintenance of vendor rosters.
Education and Experience
A bachelor’s degree or advanced degree or equivalent experience is required.
15 years of experience in appraisal practices including USPAP requirements, knowledge of environmental regulations, site assessments, cleanup and regulatory closure for MassDEP, NHDES, RIDEM.
Prior management/leadership experience with professional staff with proven decision-making capabilities, staff development and coaching skills
Knowledge of lending functions and requirements relating to real property being pledged as collateral
The position requires strong leadership and interpersonal skills, appraisal and environmental skills coupled with general lending knowledge. The following licenses are not required, however individuals with one or more licenses or designation is preferable.
Massachusetts State Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
Massachusetts Licensed Site Professional
Environmental Professional ( as defined by US EPA)
Complex Problem Solving