TITLE: Process Engineer, Fuel Design
LOCATION: Bellevue, WA, USA
TerraPower is a nuclear technology company based in Bellevue, Washington. At its core, the company is working to raise living standards globally through a more affordable, secure and environmentally friendly form of nuclear energy along with innovations in medical isotopes to improve human health. In 2006, TerraPower originated with Bill Gates and a group of like-minded visionaries who evaluated the fundamental challenges to raising living standards around the world. They recognized energy access was crucial to the health and economic well-being of communities and decided that the private sector needed to take action and create energy sources that would advance global energy deployment. TerraPower’s mission is to be a world leader in new nuclear technologies, while developing innovators and future leaders in the nuclear field. As a result, the company’s activities in the fields of nuclear energy and related sciences are yielding significant innovations in the safety and economics of nuclear power, hybrid energy and medical applications – all for significant human health benefits.
TerraPower is seeking to hire highly motivated and forward-thinking professionals who are interested in focusing on advanced nuclear reactor research and development and influencing change within the nuclear power landscape and bringing forward the critical production of medical isotopes. TerraPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. In addition, as a federal contractor, TerraPower has instituted an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) in an effort to proactively recruit, hire, and promote women, minorities, disabled persons and veterans.
Manufacturing Process Engineer/Senior Engineer – Nuclear Fuels
This position will work with a high functioning team of engineers to support the timely fabrication and supply of fuel assemblies to a reactor project at TerraPower. The role will focus on finalizing manufacturing processes for fuel fabrication steps and processes. The candidate will develop manufacturing processes, review existing manufacturing processes, design and select suitable fabrication equipment and work with vendors to get the equipment built and delivered. The position will develop testing requirements and a qualification plan to be followed by conducting equipment and process qualification with assistance from the testing department. The work requires coordination with internal and external suppliers and partners.
The candidate will leverage the qualification work mentioned above and support final manufacturing process testing and qualification at a supplier’s fuel fabrication facility. This may include proposing and implementing process improvements and troubleshooting as needed.
- Support development and finalization of an implementation plan for project fuel supply
- Direct various process equipment selection, procurement, installation, and qualification activities with an initial emphasis on induction casting of metal fuel slugs.
- Work with an interdisciplinary team of engineers along with Quality, Licensing and suppliers to establish and support execution of the detailed qualification plan for fuel and core components consistent with quality and licensing requirements.
- Prepare and present information related to the qualification plan for internal and external audiences as needed.
- Coordinate and oversee suppliers in design and commissioning of production equipment in a fuel fabrication facility as well as initial production surveillance as needed.
- Support other project related activities as needed.
Key Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in an applicable field of Engineering or Science; Advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of related manufacturing experience.
- Experience managing resources and with project management desirable.
- Experience working in an engineering or manufacturing environment.
- Experience in the nuclear fuel field is highly desirable
- Experience in process equipment selection, design, and qualification
- Experience with injection casting and/or metal extrusion manufacturing processes is highly preferred
- Experience in working with suppliers or partners
- Ability to work with a multidisciplinary team of engineers and scientists in a project environment.
- Ability to handle projects that include multiple objectives and ability to resolve conflicts between objectives.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently during a given work week.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Demonstrated safety conscience approach to work.
- Ability to work independently to solve challenging research and development problems.
- Possess ability to work on tasks that require a multi-disciplinary approach.
- Experience in performing design activities to applicable requirements such as NQA-1, ASME B&PV, AWS, 10 CFR 50, Appendix B, or equivalent is desirable.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products is required.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trustworthiness and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting and/or standing for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 20 pounds
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standard and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
- Travel required: 0-20%
TerraPower’s technology is controlled for export by various agencies of the U.S. Government. TerraPower must evaluate applicants who are foreign nationals (other than asylees, refugees, or lawful permanent residents) in accordance with U.S. Government export control requirements. To facilitate TerraPower’s export control reviews, you will be asked as part of the application process to identify whether you are a U.S. Citizen or national, asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the United States. Government export authorization approval times vary. Based on the business needs for a particular position, TerraPower may not consider a foreign national from a country if it is impracticable to obtain timely Government export approval.
Please visit www.terrapower.com to apply
Process Improvements (Business)