To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Washington, DC
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
CoStar Group • Washington, DC
Posted 18 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
CoStar is looking for experienced Copy Editors to join our growing news team covering the fast-paced commercial real estate industry. Our award-winning, industry-focused news informs subscribers and complements CoStar’s role as the industry’s leading source of commercial real estate information and data. Fortune Magazine recently named CoStar Group top 100 fastest growing companies in the world.
As Copy Editor, you will be a member of the internal team responsible for reviewing, editing and fact-checking the extensive news, expert commentary and analysis reported on CoStar.com for our large audience of real estate deal-makers throughout the U.S. is factually accurate, conforms to CoStar's news standards and is ready for publication.
You will help establish and enforce copy and style guidelines across all editorial functions (reporting, editing, fact checking and proofreading,) playing a key role in reviewing CoStar’s news coverage for grammar, spelling, usage and style. You will also play a key role in crafting headlines that are engaging, informative and inviting.
In addition to extensive copy editing, proofreading and fact-checking experience, the ideal candidate will be familiar with the range of commercial real estate property categories, major business roles and industry players to shape news intended for this specialized audience.
CoStar is expanding our news platform with the addition of several newsroom positions and additional resources to take our journalism to the next level. This is a great opportunity for an experienced, detail-oriented and highly-organized copy editor to support CoStar’s expanding news team based in our Washington, DC headquarters. Previous copy-editing newsroom experience for a daily or weekly business publication is essential.
- Play a key role in the news editing process by correcting grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors. Double check that names, places and organizations are spelled properly and that facts, dates and statistics are accurate.
- In addition proofreading news articles for spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, the Copy Editor will review articles for readability, provide feedback and suggestions to the reporter to make the article better.
- Confirm that news articles follow a style and format that meets CoStar News’ editorial policy and guidelines, and that the reporter cited appropriate sources or research in news reports.
- Write headlines and subheads for news articles, proofread captions for photos and charts in news reports, and check the source of images and other materials included in news reports to ensure they conform to appropriate use under any copyright.
- Collaborate with CoStar’s News Team to develop story ideas, diversify our coverage, and ensure timely delivery and coverage across markets.
- Ability to work with different reporters to offer comments and suggestions to improve the news article and strengthen the reporter’s abilities.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Proven copy-editing experience, preferably for a daily or weekly business publication with extensive experience in a copy-editing or proofreading role (min. three years.)
- Strong journalism background with proven writing and copy-editing skills, ideal candidates will also be experienced reviewing and copy editing a variety of news styles and formats, from straightforward hard news to profiles of industry leaders and longer, analytic pieces.
- Ferocious attention to detail with an obsession for eliminating spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, improving readability, and ensuring that all content is factually correct.
- Results oriented – with proven ability to prioritize, drive and achieve results through self and others while working to deadlines under pressure.
- B2B media experience preferred.
- Excellent headline and photo caption-writing skills, with a command of AP Style and a deep knowledge of SEO best practices.
- Ability to work within a team collaborative environment and manage both up and down management chain.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English or a related discipline.
CoStar Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; we maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing