DO WORK THAT MATTERS
At Abbott, diverse ideas, perspectives, and expertise allow us to create the life-changing solutions that help people live healthier lives. In 150 countries and with businesses spanning nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices, and branded generic pharmaceuticals, Abbott offers you enormous opportunities to explore your interests and help you achieve your career and personal goals.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Manufacturing Engineer within our Abbott Rapid Diagnostics business located at San Diego, CA. This role develops, implements and maintains methods, operation sequence and processes in the manufacture or fabrication of parts, components, sub-assemblies and final assemblies. In this role, you will interface with design engineering in coordinating the release of new products, as well as estimates manufacturing cost, determines time standards and makes recommendations for tooling and process requirements of new or existing product lines. You will be responsible for maintaining records and reporting systems for coordination of manufacturing operations.
Abbott Rapid Diagnostics (formerly Alere) is part of Abbott's Diagnostics family of businesses, bringing together exceptional teams of experts and industry leading technologies to support diagnostic testing which provides important information for treatment and management of diseases and other conditions.RESPONSIBILITIES
Develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; conferring with equipment vendors.
- May lead or recommend analysis and research of new business practices or approaches.
- Responsible for planning and directing of all aspects of engineering activities related to assigned projects.
- Ensures all engineering projects, initiatives and processes are in conformance with organization's established policies and objectives.
- Proactively anticipates framework and infrastructure requirements.
- Resolves and consults on most complex issues and drives solutions
- Mentor and leads projects and may function as a manager.
- Directs efforts of multiple project teams.
- Participate in lean activities, and improve manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning work flow, space requirements and equipment layout.
- Assures product and process quality by designing testing methods; testing finished product and process capabilities; establishing standards; confirming manufacturing processes.
- May work with hazardous materials, high voltage and RF Power.
- Recognized as a top technical/subject matter expert.