Software Support and Training Engineer (Remote)
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, providing COVID-19 testing to laboratories across the globe to address the global pandemic, and developing new tests for infectious and inherited disease. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
GSD Genetic Testing Solutions
How will you make an impact?
Your primary responsibility is to provide 2nd-level technical support to the Field Support team for our diagnostic software applications and instrumentation in our customers’ clinical laboratories. You will troubleshoot customer complaints and inquiries, analyze data anomalies, resolve installation issues, investigate unexpected software behaviors, further escalate issues that require additional support.
Your excellent written and oral communication skills will help to form collaborative relationships with both Field Support and R&D teams. You will support troubleshooting requests for software applications and qPCR instrumentation installed and operating in customers’ clinical laboratories.
What will you do?
- Provide tier 2 software and IT integration related technical support to the Tier 1 (Field Support) team who engage with customers in clinical laboratories
- Provide training to Field Support and Application Scientists for new releases of Genetic Testing Solutions (GTS) software, including demonstrating new features, complaint resolutions, and maintenance procedures
- Serve as the primary service liaison between Technical Application Scientists, Field Application Scientists, and the GTS software team
- Troubleshoot and confirm any software complaints coming from our Field Service team, quality team or our commercial partners.
- Follow up internally with the ability to debug software to find area that is affected by the software defect.
- Work with our internal R&D team and our cross functional partners on any software issues.
- Assist with customer communications and software related escalations
- Manage formal complaints and informal customer queries in an FDA regulated environment
- Collect and analyze information to identify and investigate actual and potential product and quality problems, take appropriate and effective corrective or preventive action, and verify effectiveness of such actions
- Communicate corrective and preventive actions to the appropriate people, including Product Management, Regulatory, Quality, and R&D roles within the organization
- Troubleshoot and Identify root cause of customer anomalies and work with appropriate personnel from all disciplines to provide an appropriate response towards compliant resolution
- Develop and implement plans to improve technical support service
- Implement and input information into identified case tracking systems for internal circulation and review around complaint handling metrics for clinical software products
- Forward feedback from customers regarding their product requirements, communicating their needs to R&D and Product Management for better software design and feature enhancement
- Monitor and report on customer feedback regarding product usage, maintenance, and evolving needs in the laboratory, and contribute to ongoing enhancements in software product development
All software issues will require the appropriate level of tracking and trending in enterprise-level management systems. You will need to understand the science behind the software and its use in a clinical environment to effectively evaluate the data and provide appropriate scientific responses.
Your will also prepare training material related to GTS software applications for Technical Application Scientists/Field Application Scientists.How will you get here?Education
B.S. in Software Engineering, Bioinformatics, Molecular Biology, Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, or similar scientific disciplineExperience
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- 3+ years of service and technical support experience
- Relevant experience in data science, scientific software development, or advanced computer skills
- Experience with Elastic Cloud Computing (AWS, Google Cloud), database services (SQL/NoSQL), Virtual Machines (VMWare, Docker) is a plus
- Experience with Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) in an FDA regulated environment (a plus)
- Experience (in a clinical or diagnostic laboratory setting a PLUS
- Solutions oriented with a forward focused mentality; see problems coming and develop strategic solutions, with creativity in problem solving
- Ability to function in a rapidly changing environment without losing focus; combined with the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities, whilst respecting that others will be doing the same.
- Results driven with a strong capability to influence without authority
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize and handle multiple and changing programs/projects and priorities.
- Demonstrate knowledge in some programming language(s): Java or Python or C#; and/or shell scripting languages
- Knowledge in Software Development tools and defect tracking tools - Atlassian Jira/Confluence and source version control tool (Git, GitHub)
- Experience with Salesforce, TrackWise, E1, or other complaint handling/problem resolution and tracking software a plus
- Remote position located in North America with 25% domestic and international travel. Preference to San Francisco location, but not required.
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Software Support and Training Engineer (Remote).