To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Durham, NC
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Cell Biology Scientist
Apex Systems • Durham, NC
Posted 8 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Apex Systems is looking for a Cell Biology Scientist in the RTP Area!
The cell biology scientist to carry out plant reproductive biology research. The successful applicant will be a self-motivated individual with excellent interpersonal skills who enjoys working in a dynamic, collaborative team environment. She or he will also have a strong scientific background in Biology, developmental and reproductive Biology, in particular cell culture and doubled haploid, preferably in a crop plant, and will be flexible enough to be able to work on different assignments as needed.
Applicants should have a demonstrated ability to design and carry out innovative experiments and to be creative and inventive. In this role, they will be asked to independently and effectively plan and execute experiments, interpret, report and present results, maintain accurate experimental records according to company policies with outstanding attention to detail, and share results with team members and other scientists in a timely fashion. They will also be expected to contribute new ideas, propose new projects, and manage laboratory activities of others if necessary. They will be expected to make discoveries and inventions, file patents and publish manuscripts.
The work is expected to be 80% at the lab bench, 5% on the computer, 5% in meetings and 10% in the greenhouse. Some weekend work may be needed.
Work independently and under limited supervision to provide support and leadership in plant reproductive biology research projects. Propose, design, and carry out experiments. Ensure that all assignments are carried out effectively and accurately. Propose and invent new approaches to existing research activities.
Critical success factors & key challenges
This work will require competence in multiple techniques, including donor plant quality, light and/or confocal microscopy, molecular biology, biochemistry, plant cell, tissue culture and transformation.
The work requires dedication and flexibility. Interest and experience in all of these areas will be required. Additionally, knowledge, experience, and interest in plant physiology, cell biology, developmental and reproductive biology, and biotechnology (including GM and gene editing) would be particularly beneficial.
Knowledge, experience & capabilities
- Ph.D. in Biology, Plant Biology, Plant Genetics, Plant Biotechnology or related field; or MS with 5 years relevant experience. (REQUIRED)
- Knowledge of modern biology laboratory techniques in plant cell, tissue culture and transformation; and available computational/analytical tools in molecular biology, genetics, development, and biotechnology required.
- Knowledge of modern laboratory techniques in physiology and biochemistry preferred.
- Knowledge of modern agricultural challenges and historical solutions preferred.
Laboratory work experience including:
- Experience independently planning and executing research in plant cell, tissue culture and transformation.
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability in the context of plant biotechnology research.
- Analytical and communication skills in interpreting and presenting study results.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively as a member of a dynamic technical team.
- Flexibility in handling new job assignments and achieve results in a rapidly changing work environment.
- High level of personal integrity, which means faithfully executes of experiments and documents mistakes or variations in the procedure that may impact results, appropriate documents results, observes safety procedures.
- Demonstrated capacity to think quickly and independently, and to be creative and inventive.
Critical leadership capabilities
- Align objectives to the business priorities.
- Learn agility, judgment, planning, execution and results orientation.
- Provides support for individuals and teams to achieve excellence.
- Senses and adapts to the changing environment to achieve excellence in delivery.
Apex is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at 844-463-6178