1. Promotes a positive work environment that actively assists interprofessional health care team to achieve optimal department results. Facilitates open, professional (verbal, nonverbal, written) communication which includes active listening and teaching to achieve mutual understanding, role modeling by example.
2. Teaches others to critically think by verbally expressing rationale for decisions and follows up, providing structured feedback with examples. Serves as the department preceptor for new surgical technologists, utilizing skills and knowledge to train and orient others.
3. Facilitates teamwork by anticipating the need for assistance and responding positively to requests for assistance. Uses peer-to-peer accountability towards improvement of department score for employee engagement.
SERVICE - 25%
1. Prepares the operating room, equipment and supplies for the next patient. Anticipates additional instrumentation, equipment and supplies for usage during the procedure before surgeon scrubs. Maintains and accurately communicates updates for surgeon preference cards within the applicable service line.
2. Anticipates the needs of the surgeon and nursing staff by passing instruments and supplies for surgical procedures, performing competently the role of the surgical technologist in the provision of surgical assistance during a variety of surgical procedures including but not limited to: orthopedics, gynecology, general, ENT, ophthalmology, urology, CV, spine, neurology, oral/maxillofacial, and minimally invasive procedures.
3. Assists the circulating RN with sponge, instrument, needle, and other surgical counts.
4. Role models behaviors and skills, through peer-to-peer accountability, towards improving department score for patient satisfaction.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
1. Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during pre and post procedures. Prepares sterile dressings and/or immobilization devices. Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization, following surgical procedure. Assists other members of the team with terminal cleaning of the room.
2. Assists with implementation and teaching of department-based safety initiatives and standards of practice. Problem-solves and manages multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision.
3. Participates in debriefing and quality improvement practices to ensure quality patient care. Initiates corrective actions and improvement activities towards improving department and
hospital quality and safety targets, reporting near misses, and collaborating with the interprofessional healthcare team.
FINANCE - 15%
1. Maintains efficient use of surgical supplies and minimizes opening of supplies until confirmation that will be used during surgery. Makes recommendations for cost containment during cases.
2. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively, minimizing incidental overtime, and prioritize daily tasks. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
1. Identifies and presents areas for innovation, efficiency and improvement for department projects and shared governance activities. May co-chair a unit-based Shared Governance Council.
2. Acts as resource in surgical technology for the department on other hospital committees. Participates in one department or hospital committee or subcommittee and facilitates the accomplishment of the goals of the committee or subcommittee.
3. Proactively seeks opportunities to enhance knowledge and learning towards expertise in competencies with a focus on continual development. Completes and updates the My Development plan on an on-going basis.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Successful completion of an accredited Surgical Technology program or military training equivalency
o Two years as a Surgical Technologist
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
o Certification by the Surgical Technologist Association, National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) or meet the grandfather clause
- Active Listening
- Corrective And Preventive Action (Capa)