The Accounts Payable Specialist processes invoices and expense reports, to include review of approval, vendor coding, account coding, auditing of expense reports, and voucher preparation. The Accounts Payable Specialist works with all facets of the accounts payable system, principally the scanning, processing, and document retention of vouchers and expense reports. The specialist ensures that all invoices and/or expense reports are accurate, have been properly coded, approved by the authorizing person/level and if necessary have the corresponding PO prior to processing. Once the proper verifications, coding and authorizations are received, the specialist is responsible for processing in a timely fashion. This position also verifies and obtains proper Internal Revenue Service documentation such as 1099 and W-9 forms from vendors. The specialist also scans and maintains electronic files for invoices, expense reports, accounts payable payments, and tax information for vendors. An accounts payable specialist works with individuals at all levels of the company, including management who must authorize payments. The specialist also works with many vendors; an accounts payable specialist is the first point of contact for assigned vendors if there is a question about an invoice or their timely receipt of payment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following: Other duties not listed may be assigned.
- General accounts payable coding and processing
- Review invoices and expense reports
- Vendor and G/L coding and verifying codes submitted by others
- Answer inquiries from vendors, suppliers, employees and management, and research discrepancies
- Research billing discrepancies and initiate action based on findings
- Ensure established financial controls are adhered to in the performance of specific procedures, and evidence is retained
- Participate in process improvement projects and productivity enhancements, which include but are not limited to, expense reporting and reimbursement business processes
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must possess attention to detail, entry level experience in accounting or accounts payable, and strong written and oral communications skills. Should be familiar with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word. Should also be able to speak with vendors, management, and co-workers in a friendly and professional manner.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong sense of urgency
- Strong team skills
- Business partner and team oriented
- Excellent keyboard and 10-key skills
- Excellent customer service orientation
- Ability to understand and communicate job-related information clearly and concisely
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining quality and accuracy
- Ability to participate in and contribute to process improvement projects and departmental initiatives
- Able to complete projects in a timely manner as assigned by department supervisor and other member of management
An accounts payable specialist works with individuals at all levels of the company, including management staff who must authorize payments. A specialist also works with many vendors; an accounts payable specialist is the first point of contact for vendors if there is a question about an invoice or their timely receipt of payment. The work environment typically is an office setting, with no outdoor work or travel, during standard business hours.
The qualities an accounts payable specialist must possess are attention to detail, experience in bookkeeping or accounts payable, and strong written and oral communications skills. They should be familiar with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word. They should also be able to speak with vendors in a friendly and professional manor. A high school diploma is required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 1-3 years of accounts payables experience
- Retail Merchandise payables experience preferred but not required
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We offer competitive compensation, excellent benefits to include 401(k), best-in-class products, and more! Both innovative and high-performing, our stores provide you with unlimited possibilities to start your career. Be a part of the Tuesday Morning growth!