Database Admin Specialist - Reston, VA
Supports database maintenance and provisioning for PostgresSQL, MySQL, and Oracle AWS RDS. Typical tasks include creating schemas, manage access credentials, monitoring, execute tasks to support developers. Provides database support by verifying databases associated with network tools and solutions function as required. Responsible for managing the routine operations and maintenance of databases and ensuring their reliable and efficient performance. Works with a team to manage multiple databases and implement updates.
- Performs preventive and corrective maintenance and incident management measures.
* Schedules and executes regular system administrative activities, including system reboot, back up, recovery, archiving and restoration.
* Checks and ensures all databases are online and can be connected. Monitors and tunes databases to ensure peak performance.
* Checks database log files backup status and system hardware resources such as space, CPU, and memory. Designs and implements backup and recovery solutions.
* Creates tests, develops databases, and tunes database performance, reviewing database performance trends and identifies opportunities for improvement.
* Provides advanced system maintenance support, ensuring that any system disruptions mandated by an upgrade or patch follow the necessary guidelines and approvals.
* Supports installation of operating systems, databases, applications, development upgrades, and new releases.
* Plans and executes any needed upgrades to the software applications and maintains necessary licensing.
* Establishes standards, controls and procedures to ensure data integrity and security.
* Uses various databases and sources to research system vulnerabilities and potential security attacks.
* Performs capacity planning and projection for future growth.
* Assists and mentors junior Database Administrators.
Bachelor's Degree in a related field of study.
2-5 years of related work experience.
Must be eligible to pass public trust clearance
Other Job Specific Skills
* Solid understanding of ANSI-SQL, PostgreSQL
* Basic understanding of AWS core infrastructure, including RDS is beneficial
* PostgreSQL Operations - P2 intermediate; AWS Database - P2 intermediate
* Handson experience of AWS DynamoDB
* Strong attention to detail and analytical skills.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to multitask and work well under pressure.
* Experience monitoring database usage, troubleshooting data compatibility and integrity issues, and making modifications for enhanced performance.
* Experience with DBA productivity and performance tools.
* Experience with DoD and Federal Government is desired.
* Working knowledge of security network and infrastructure tools, including access control and/or encryption.
* Thorough knowledge of the software/system development life cycle (SDLC).
* Ability to clearly and concisely document table mappings/layouts or data dictionaries for technical and non-technical audiences.
This candidate needs to be a US Citizen, eligible for Public Trust level clearance.
Installations (Computer Systems)