To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Pontiac, MI
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Component Cost Engineer - Global Propulsion Systems
General Motors • Pontiac, MI
Posted 22 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Develop true cost in collaboration with Design Engineers, Purchasing Buyers and Supplier Development Engineers throughout the Global Propulsion Systems Development (GPDP) Process. Develop and utilize competitive component and/or system cost analysis and knowledge of manufacturing processes to recommend robust cost effective solutions. Articulate available estimates, cost drivers, and content tradeoffs to Propulsion System Teams. Drive cost effective decisions to meet program financial targets, while supporting the execution of class leading propulsion systems/vehicles for the customer. The successful candidate will have strong leadership skills and project aptitude. This position involves a high level of independent judgment, initiative, creativity, and project aptitude.
- Develop component/subsystem cost models using activity based and other costing methods and knowledge of manufacturing processes
- Collaborate with PMT members and drive to lowest cost solutions
- eSOR completion via Allowable Cost (AC) sheet process
- Provide cost expertise to organization to enable effective design and content tradeoffs
- Support purchasing team during negotiations
- Identify/communicate/minimize component and/or system cost drivers
- Collaborate/coordinate with local and global counterparts to estimate costs and to improve cost knowledge in all manufacturing locations
- Maintain alignment between PE BOM (BA/GPDP Phases) and Product Costbook (local and global programs) for assigned component responsibilities
- Support sourcing board reviews, Pre-RFQ, Update, Recommendation
- Provide internal and competitive benchmarking analysis
- Drive behavior within the organization to be cost conscious and develop “design to cost” mentality
- Observe and translate manufacturing process parameters into cost models and estimates
- Provide feedback to the cost engineering organization to improve methods, tools, and knowledge
- Effectively communicate estimates to all levels within the organization
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering in one of the following disciplines: Mechanical, Electrical, Manufacturing, Aeronautical, Computer Science and/or Computer Engineering, Metallurgical, Materials, or Chemical
- At least 3 years of previous experience working with and/or dealing with the costing of material used in the final product relating to engine and/or propulsion system components
- Ability to prioritize projects within time constraints
- Adept at working with a complex bill of materials to cost a component
- Detailed understanding of manufacturing processes, assembly techniques, and process control parameters
- Ability to network and collaborate cross-functionally to enhance cost knowledge
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical abilities where problems are complex
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated commitment to teamwork and partnerships
- Must be willing and able to create and present information to leadership, customers, and colleagues in a clear and concise matter
- Must have the ability to use MS Office Suite programs at an intermediate to advanced level (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or Engineering
- Knowledge of Accounting principles
- Product development experience
- Knowledge of Global Cost Engineering processes and procedures
- Knowledge of costing evolution during the Product development cycle