To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Shawnee, KS
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Sales & Use Tax Accountant
Nazdar, Inc • Shawnee, KS
Posted 12 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Nazdar is hiring a Sales and Use Tax Accountant to join our Accounting and Finance department in Shawnee, KS. The successful candidate will assist Nazdar in preparing sales and use tax returns, maintaining sales and use tax records and preparing reports or responses to inquiries received from customers, suppliers, or taxing jurisdictions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Researches state and local sales and use tax rates, rules, nexus, exemptions and related data. Updates financial, accounting, and tax systems (Avalara).
- Receives, reviews and processes customers’ exemption certificates in Avalara CertCapture system.
- Understands the relationship between customer exemption type, product taxability and state/local laws to apply the appropriate tax rules.
- Prepares and files state and local sales and use tax returns and completes various other tax filings and related research activities.
- Researches sales taxes billed in error and issues sales tax credits when necessary.
- Assists with state and local tax audits, including meeting with auditors, data collection, analysis and resolution. Supports audit defense as needed.
- Analyzes and interprets tax regulations and prepares required tax reports so that the organization meets its tax obligations and objectives.
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge of state and local sales and use tax laws, legislation and current developments.
- Analyzes and interprets tax laws and regulations in order to prepare policies, processes and procedures to ensure compliance. Able to continuously improve the process.
- Prepares and completes tax notice resolution.
- Analyzes data from internal systems to ensure adherence to all state and local tax laws. In situations of data peculiarities, works with external tax system (Avalara AvaTax) personnel to provide solutions for resolution.
- Communicates with all levels of the organization, including Sales Coordinators, Customer Service, Credit and Collections, Purchasing, Sales and Sales Management. Communicates regularly with Customers, Suppliers, and Tax Authorities.
- Responsible for troubleshooting tax system and determining efficient processes.
- Manages the customers’ expectations and overall experience in relation to sales tax.
- Performs various projects as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance
- Four (4) or more years of experience in the tax field or related area, with at least two (2) years focusing on multi-state sales and use tax
- Experience with Tax Software required, Avalara experience a plus
- Experience with ERP, i.e. SAP, Oracle, Infor
- Knowledge of MS Office Software applications, including Excel. Must exhibit intermediate to advanced Excel skills.
- Knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures in the sales and use tax field.
- Demonstrated ability to address and properly complete simultaneous projects on time.
- Hard working, self-starter, performance-oriented, resourceful and able to meet the demands of a diverse business environment in a timely, accurate and efficient manner.
- Highly skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral. Ability to establish working relationships with key internal and external customers.
- Ability to analyze data
- Strong problem-solving capability
- Demonstrated ability to recognize issues, identify root cause and develop solutions.
- Ability to analyze data and reports and use the information to make decisions