Biologist - Clinical Laboratory Expertise - NIH - Baltimore, MD
Kelly Government Solutions is a strategic supplier and business partner to the federal government and its key suppliers. Through our partnership with the National Institutes of Health, Kelly Government Solutions offers administrative, IT, engineering, scientific, and healthcare professionals the opportunity to work with one of the most prestigious research organizations in the world. We are currently seeking a Biologist to work onsite with the National Institutes of Health in Baltimore, MD.
OVERVIEW. This is a long-term, open-ended contract position which offers:
- Competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package.
- Tremendous room for personal growth and career development.
- Opportunity to work at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the world's foremost medical research center.
TASKS/SERVICES. The contractor shall:
- Receive and log samples.
- Verify that all information contained on shipping requisition matches corresponding specimen.
- Troubleshoot and resolve sample identification discrepancies; report problems to Laboratory Manager.
- Assign a unique lab sequence number to each specimen according to protocols; assess each specimen for condition (liquid or frozen), quantity (adequate or not adequate), and appearance (normal, hemolyzed, icteric, lipemic).
- Distribute samples to proper laboratory analytical section or affiliate laboratories as instructed by Laboratory Manager and/or protocols.
- Distribute all samples reports and send to appropriate PI.
- Confirm various vendor invoices with the number of specimens sent out for testing.
- Coordinate with other laboratories for receiving and shipping specimens and reports.
- Store and retrieve samples from storage according to protocol.
- Perform DNA/RNA quality control (Q.C.) checks for all protocols to ensure that all samples are inventoried accordingly; correct clerical and technical errors associated with quality checks.
- Make appropriate photocopies of shipping logs/laboratory requisitions; distribute files appropriately.
- Prepare samples and requisitions for shipment to reference laboratory for testing.
- Provide monthly audits for various studies.
- Read and record temperature of laboratory refrigerators and freezers on appropriate temperature charts each day.
- Operate and maintain a variety of routine and specialized clinical laboratory instruments and equipment in the collection, processing, description and analysis of specimens according to manufacturer guidelines and corporate/departmental procedures.
- Review and maintain equipment records; ensure completion of equipment maintenance according to established schedules.
- Troubleshoot equipment problems; communicate with laboratory staff.
- Use specialized clinical laboratory instruments and equipment (e.g., YSI, Pentra, Simoa) to provide testing results to researchers.
- Initiate the investigation into problems with clinical laboratory procedures and equipment; consult with staff regarding unsolved problems.
- Maintain documentation in accordance with NIA standard operating procedures and MHRI corporate policy.
- Ensure that reagents are made correctly and that expired reagents or defective products are replaced to ensure validity of patient results.
- Assist with the maintenance and updating of freezer inventories.
- Monitor and manage inventory of shipping/storage boxes.
- Receive, prepare and ship samples, supplies and kits as needed.
- Ensure that the external collection and shipment of samples to the laboratory is communicated to field sites/clients; direct the creation of training packages, flipcharts and laboratory manuals sent to sites to conduct training as needed.
- Ensure that U. S. Dept. of Transportation (DOT) and other standards for shipment of biological materials are followed, including proper documentation (e.g., sign- and sign-out logs, etc.).
- Enter appropriate information into computer system.
- Bar-code and aliquot specimens with appropriate speed and accuracy.
- Prepare appropriate reagents and chemicals.
- Respond to client and affiliate inquiries.
- Comply with all State, Federal, CLIA, safety, OSHA, U.S. DOT and other government and applicable agency regulation.
- Provide technical information and support to internal and external customers; respond to questions regarding analyte stability, reference material, and statistical information; serve as resource for problem resolution, meeting client/customer needs.
- Travel to Clinical Research Branch at Harbor Hospital as needed to perform analyses and routine maintenance, calibration and quality control of YSI 2300 STAT analyzers.
- Maintain the NOVA Biomedical and other glucometers.
- Travel to NIA clinical Research Unit at MedStar Harbor Hospital when a clamp is needed for various clinical protocols.
- Train researchers on the operation of Quanterix - SIMOA analyzer for multiplexing and ELISA assays, and how to analyze cytokine data.
- Serve as point of contact for all Quanterix - SIMOA analyzer related questions.
- Run various ELISA assay for researchers as needed; assist research staff to meet deadline for research publication(s).
- Conserve consumables from Quanterix - SIMOA analyzer kits and reagents for future assays.
- Substitute, and/or in absence of Medical Technologist at Harbor Hospital, run and maintain Horbia Pentra C400 biochemistry analyzer.
- Substitute, and/or in absence of DNA/RNA Laboratory Technician, perform whole blood DNA, RNA and saliva extractions.
- Work with contact service engineers to install software for assay runs, troubleshoot analyzers (e.g., Horiba, YSI, Quanterix, Hamilton, etc.) and send requested information related to troubleshooting.
- Participate annually in DNA/RNA and NIA core lab for proficiency testing.
- Coordinate and oversee all eyewash station inspection records for NIA core laboratory, DNA/RNA lab and Biorepository.
- Monitor and manage supplies inventory; prepare order for core lab and DNA/RNA lab.
- Perform DNA extraction on human urine.
- Train and mentor new staff in the DNA/RNA Laboratory.
- Prepare monthly update of DNA/RNA Laboratory freezer map inventory.
- Maintain and calibrate Nanodrop ND 2000c analyzer and QI Expert analyzer.
REQUIREMENTS. The contractor must have:
- Bachelor's degree in a related discipline; three (3) years of specialized experience plus a Bachelor's degree is equivalent to a Master's degree.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in a high-volume laboratory specimen receiving department.
- Valid state driver's license.
- Intermediate or advanced PC-based experience.
- MT(ASCP) registration or equivalent.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE.
Note that the phone number for our NIH branch is not listed. Due to the high volume of inquiries, we regret that we cannot accept phone calls. All qualified candidates will be contacted.
As a workforce advocate for over 70 years, we are proud to have a role in managing employment opportunities for more than one million workers around the globe. We employ 550,000 of these individuals directly with the remaining workers engaged through our talent supply chain network of supplier partners. Revenue in 2015 was $5.5 billion. Visit URL blocked - click to apply and connect with us on URL blocked - click to apply, URL blocked - click to apply and URL blocked - click to apply.
Kelly Services is an equal opportunity employer including, but not limited to, Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities, Protected Veterans, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and is committed to employing a diverse workforce. URL blocked - click to apply
Medical Surgical Nursing
Apply to this job.
Think you're the perfect candidate?
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Report this job
Report this Job
Once a job has been reported, we will investigate it further. If you require a response, submit your question or concern to our
Trust and Site Security Team
Job ID: US3172JD_BH1569426
privacy and protection,
when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder
Terms and Conditions
for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the
Terms and Conditions
and both meet and comply with their provisions.
Kelly Government Solutions, a specialty service of Kelly Services®, is a strategic supplier and business partner to the federal government, including prime and small business contractors. Our extensive network includes relationships with top federal and Department of Defense agencies and many others.
These partnerships enable us to provide you with flexible government employment and career advancement opportunities nationwide and across a wide range of professions, including:
- Information Technology
- Healthcare / Medical Research
- Positions with high-level security clearances
Kelly Government Solutions employees work more than 10,000 hours each day, and we put a new employee to work every two hours.
It all began when William R. Kelly—founder of the temporary staffing industry—established Kelly Services® in 1946. The company's traditional expertise started with office services, call center, light industrial, and electronic assembly staffing. Through the years, we expanded our expertise and established a proven record of successfully matching job seekers to opportunities in disciplines such as science, engineering, law, education, healthcare, IT, and finance. As a Fortune 500® company, Kelly® has evolved into a global workforce solutions leader, making employment connections for nearly half a million people around the world every year.
Since our founding, we have embodied the true spirit of social responsibility. Our character and values resonate through our culture. Inherently—through our core business focus—we seek to improve the quality of life for our employees, their families, and their communities, as well as society at large. We embrace the role we play and the value we contribute to society—whether ensuring equal opportunity to employment, promoting safer workplace conditions, advocating for healthcare reform, or adhering to sustainable business practices.
Together with our employees and our customers, we will continue to work toward ensuring that our legacy will remain strong for generations to come. For more than 60 years, people have trusted Kelly Services to help them reach their career goals. We are your proven link to employment opportunities that will pave the way for a successful future. Whoever and wherever you are—and with the right skills and attitude—Kelly can help you find a job, expand your career, and build your future.
*According to "The Emerging New Workforce," a 2009 report by Littler Mendelson, P.C., an employment and Labor Law solution firm.
View the full profile