As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees is critical to our ongoing success--take charge of your career goals and empower your future!
The purpose of this position is to collect data, monitor the performance of plant chemical treatment systems, operate lab equipment and repair analytical equipment malfunctions, and perform chemical analysis.
Essential Duties/ Responsibilities
• Communicates technical information on the condition of plant chemical-related processes/equipment to management and other technical personnel.
• Supports chemical-related troubleshooting activities on power plant systems and equipment.
• Ensures Company resources are used in a cost-effective manner.
• Supports and emphasizes the importance of safety and environmental programs and ensures regulatory compliance.
• Operates lab equipment and performs chemical analysis.
• Recognizes problems and is proactive in helping to resolve them.
• Collects process and environmental samples to support plant production and regulatory compliance.
• Collects data and monitors performance of plant chemical treatment systems.
• Supports chemical cleaning activities if required.
• Maintains proper QA/QC documentation.
• Obtain and maintain TCEQ water license for potable water sampling.
• Maintains chemical inventories as needed.
• Normal office environment and/or out of door work environment. (Including working at heights, high/low ambient temperatures and high humidity areas at generating unit work locations).
• Requires operation of a motor vehicle; Driver’s License.
• Work overtime and non-standard working hours as required.
• Requires occasional travel outside service area.
• Minimum of 8 college hours in Chemistry and 2 years of power plant chemical experience or 4 years of industrial / power plant chemical experience.
• Requires operation of a motor vehicle and a valid Driver’s License.
• Ability to work overtime and non-standard working hours as required.
• Working knowledge of chemistry principles, laboratory techniques, and lab equipment operation.
• Ability to understand the effects of chemical analysis results on plant operations.
• Knowledge of applicable safety and environmental regulations.
• Ability to fix equipment.
• Ability to use a personal computer and associated software applications to enter and evaluate data and create reports.
• Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written).
• Ability to establish and maintain a positive and professional working relationship with all individuals.
• Ability to perform as a team member or leader in a cross-functional team environment and achieve consensus decisions.
• Ability to use basic math and algebra to perform calculations.
• Ability to read, create and follow written procedures and technical documents.
• Ability to read, write and understand English.
• Ability to connect and disconnect equipment and perform minor adjustments on lab equipment.
• Requires lifting to 50 pounds to perform duties and responsibilities
• Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to access, inspect, or collect data on plant equipment.
• Requires wearing personal protective safety equipment (respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear, ear plugs, etc.)
• May be required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at [ Link removed ] )
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
- Product Quality Assurance
- Analytical Chemistry