Since time began, the earth’s been a generous contributor to people’s well-being. We haven’t been around quite that long, but The Nature’s Bounty Co. has been enriching lives of consumers around the world for more than 70 years. And before we even got started, the world was developing our motivation: Nature’s bountiful effects on people’s health.
Through our years, we’ve been a leader in health and wellness with our innovative products and solutions. We put science and the highest quality standards at the heart of our business—that’s why The Nature’s Bounty Co. brands are some of the most trusted in the world. We’re a leading global manufacturer, marketer, distributor and retailer of vitamins, nutritional supplements, sports & active nutrition, and ethical beauty products.
We’re also a great place to work, with excellent benefits, competitive compensation and a progressive, healthy company culture. If you’ve ever spent your workdays watching the clock, you know how important a positive work environment is for a person’s well-being. The Nature’s Bounty Co. is committed to supporting wellness in all its forms. And when it comes to wellness, nature is a pretty good place to start.
The Nature’s Bounty Co. is currently recruiting for a Sr. Scientist to join the Product Development Team as the technical lead for S&AN projects where Bars, Powders and Ready-to-drink are the primary delivery form. This position manages technical projects and activities for Nature’s Bounty Co. Sport & Active Nutrition- with a focus on bar innovation and formulation. This position will work on branded new products including design, development, and technology transfer of new formulas, processes, products, line extensions and provides technical support to core products as needed. This role will be critical to the successful execution of new product development activities inclusive of FEI (Front End of Innovation), Stage Gate and core Product Development activities.
This is an amazing opportunity to join a Product Development driving Innovation across our wellness platforms!
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plan, manage and complete technical projects and activities necessary to design, develop and optimize new and improved formulations/products/delivery systems for Nature’s Bounty Co. S&AN products that meet customer needs
- Creatively links formulation and/or product science and technology opportunities to the needs of the business through development and transfer of new products from Idea to Commercialization, transfers technologies from bench/pilot to manufacturing scale and successfully implements proprietary and differentiated technical solutions
- Conducts design and development activities where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of variable factors. Contributes to the development of new principles or concepts that lead to capability and competency enhancements and/or higher impact/value opportunities
- Applies fundamental understanding of research principles and the scientific method, and acts as a role model in fostering a test-and-learn environment that improves R&D influence and effectiveness
- Manages the identification, assessment and development of enabling technology/delivery form platforms to enable meaningfully unique delivery of current and future ingredients
- Collect, analyze, interpret, draw conclusions and make recommendations from data to enable technical execution of projects. Modify methodologies to improve the quality, accuracy and usefulness of data. Provide technical recommendations to R&D, Project and Brand teams through clear and concise oral and written communications. Participate in writing protocols and manufacturing documents for feasibility, development and commercial activities
- Partners closely with technical staff as needed at internal and external contract research, development and manufacturing sites to successfully advance projects
- Develops, documents and transfers critical ingredient, product, process and analytical parameters/specifications to internal and external Manufacturing and Quality Assurance functions to ensure consumer focused and robust design of new products, processes and characterizing methods. Ensure proper documentation for all technical and project work is completed
- Designs, conducts and documents stability testing protocols to recommend and support product dating
- Lead technical activities to assist advancement of multiple projects concurrently through the Stage Gate product development process
- Support, coordinate and conduct bench, pilot and production scale trials at internal and external development and manufacturing sites
- Participates in exploratory and scouting activities to generate new product ideas with differentiated technology. Identifies, evaluates and selects new ingredients, delivery forms, processes and technologies to guide product development initiatives.
- 7+ years experience in the Food and Beverage, dietary supplement, consumer healthcare and/or value-added consumer packaged goods industry with continually increasing scope of responsibilities. Experience working with protein or bar formulation required.
- BS, MS, PhD in Food Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Pharmaceutical Science or equivalent
- Training or certifications in Project Management, Design of Experiments or equivalent is desired
- Breadth of technical knowledge and experience in application in functional nutritional food formulation, product, process and platform development and delivery systems
- Experience and proven results in technical projects and project/program/platform leadership in an R&D environment
- Demonstrated proficiency in NPD/Stage Gate process from Idea through Commercialization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with proven ability to manage up and work productively with cross-functional peers in a collaborative team environment
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Demonstrated expertise in partnering with external suppliers and contract developers and manufacturers
- Working knowledge and experience in design thinking, design of experiments and relevant statistical tools in product development
- Works seamlessly in both a business and R&D environment with proven ability to deliver programs on time, on quality and within budget
- Understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices and working knowledge of form-specific regulatory requirements (DSHEA, FDA) and certifications (non-GMO, Kosher, Halal, DSVP, etc.)
- Specific experience in powders and ready-to-drink beverages formulation and process technology
- Proven track record of successful delivery of technical projects in a value-added consumer packaged goods environment preferred
- Strong formulation expertise and understanding of ingredient/raw material physical and chemical interactions
- Excellent time and project management skills with proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple, concurrent projects
- Commitment to core values of collaboration& teamwork, creativity & intellectual curiosity, integrity & respect, nimbleness, execution excellence, quality of innovation and accountability.