Why You Will Love Being Part of the Navy Federal Team:
*Competitive compensation with opportunities for annual raises, promotions, and bonus potential
*Best-in-Class Benefits! (7% 401k match / Pension plan / Tuition reimbursement / Great insurance options)
*On-site amenities include fitness center, wellness center, cafeteria, etc. at Pensacola, FL; Vienna, VA and Winchester, VA campuses
*Consistently Awarded Top Workplace
*Nationally recognized training department by TRAINING Magazine
*An employee-focused, diverse, and service-oriented workplace environment
To lead a team of accountants in the execution of Navy Federal’s financial accounting processes by appropriately applying federal and industry regulations and standards, and to support the accurate and proper reconciliation and maintenance of the organization’s financial statements and reports.
1. Supervises a team of professionals in the performance of accounting activities to ensure financial records reflect the proper application of industry standards.
• Oversees team processes including account reconciliations, analytics and variance analysis
• Coordinates the month-end closing process to include review and monitoring of entries to balance sheet and income statement accounts
2. Applies broad knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Accounting Standard Codification (ASC) to the preparation of NFCU financial statements.
• Ensures compliance with GAAP and ASC by applying accounting standards in the preparation of Navy Federal’s financial statements
• Identifies simplifying assumptions and accounting methods and instances of incorrect application of GAAP/ASC; quantifies the impact of such treatment and recommends solution
• Supervises and ensures the proper classification of transactions and funds and the resolution of misapplied funds or outstanding items
• Interprets emerging accounting policies and makes recommendations for in-house application and changes to internal practices to remain in compliance
3. Supervises and leads in the conducting of in-depth analysis to identify, isolate and resolve discrepancies, and contributes to quality control and process improvement.
• Leads and manages the investigation and resolution of complex discrepancies, data entry errors, and out of balance situations; prepares and presents recommendations for immediate action or proposals for policy changes to prevent losses
• Lead projects or portions of projects and assists with the development and integration testing for new or enhanced automated financial accounting systems
• Serves as point of contact for inquiries and problem resolution in collaboration with all levels of management and staff across the organization
• Serves as point of contact for inquiries from internal and external auditors; coordinates audit responses
4. Performs supervisory duties.
• Plans and controls section operations, schedules staff and assigns work
• Selects employees and maintains adequate staffing, oversees training and development, conducts performance appraisals and performs disciplinary actions
• Analyzes work quality methods and procedures and implements methods for improvement; makes budgetary recommendations regarding equipment and staffing needs.
5. Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of experience, education and training
• Previous supervisory experience and demonstrated ability to coach and train team members in application of complex accounting rules
• Prior work experience in public or private accounting applying complex accounting treatments and resolving complex accounting issues
• Strong knowledge of and prior experience working with SOX control environment including documentation and testing of controls and their effectiveness over financial reporting
• Experience researching technical accounting issues and making recommendations for the application and implementation of accounting principles
• Prior working experience with financial/accounting systems (e.g. Peoplesoft General Ledger) used in the management and analysis of financial data
• Experience working with cross-functional teams including demonstrated skill in presenting complex financial information clearly and concisely
• Strong analytical, organizational, and decision-making skills
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and the ability to effectively collaborate with various external and internal technical and functional contacts
• Desired - CPA designation is highly preferred
• Desired - Diverse background in accounting knowledge; this position may require an understanding or experience in accounts payable, financial reporting, GL account reconciliations, financial analysis, and accounting standard research and implementation
• Desired - Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance or other related field
• Desired - Proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel and Powerpoint
• Desired - Knowledge of Navy Federal’s organizational structure, products, services, policies and procedures
Equal Employment Opportunity
Navy Federal values, celebrates, and enacts diversity in the workplace. Navy Federal takes affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities, disabled veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, recently separated veterans, and other protected veterans. EOE/AA/M/F/Veteran/Disability
Navy Federal reserves the right to fill this role at a higher/lower grade level based on business need.
Bank Secrecy Act
Remains cognizant of and adheres to Navy Federal policies and procedures, and regulations pertaining to the Bank Secrecy Act.
Supply Chain Management