The candidate will also:
- Create training resources and best-practice examples to inspire and educate our users
- Organize engaging events such as demonstrations or hands-on training with our partners
- Define curriculums for several type of users starting by strengthening the fundamental principles of creating, managing and using data
- Improve user adoption of the data stack
- Coach and support other employee to use modern analytics tools to discover insights and create great data products
- Help shaping our roadmap by sharing feedback from the community
- Directly develop certain advanced and critical Dashboards as needed
- Define and record metrics that demonstrate the qualitative and quantitative value created
- Enjoy writing about data and analytics subjects for both technical and non-technical audiences, for example blog posts and/or creating educational material
- Has advanced communication skills and a desire to hone and apply them; Love engaging with small and larger audience
- Develop open, considerate, and effective working relationships with peers, employees, and external contacts
- Enjoy learning new skills and supporting people around you
- Has a solid knowledge of Microsoft Power BI or other modern analytics tools
There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Significant time spent using computer display, keyboard, and mouse.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Management and Information Systems (MIS) or a closely related field. Usually has advanced technical certifications that demonstrate mastery of a specialized application.
At least six (6) years of technology experience supporting applications. Advanced certifications and/or greater than six (6) years applicable experience may be substituted for up to two (2) years of the education requirement.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
Preference will be given to candidates with the following skillsets:
- Familiar with programming
- Familiar with using or deploying cloud-based data services
- Familiar with an Agile Framework
- Have 3+ years working as a data analyst or consultant with deep knowledge of analytical tools, languages, practices, and an eye for good visualization design
- Have 2+ years of experience engaging and ideally growing digital user communities, including coaching and/or teaching
- Related certifications
SELECTION / SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
Department may administer skills assessment test
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION NO
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate’s qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
PAY GRADE: 29
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832/393-0204). (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.