Job Title: Cash Applications Associate
Job Status: Non-exempt, full-time
Department: Cash Applications
Immediate Supervisor Title: Supervisor Cash Posting and Reconciliation
Job Supervisory Responsibilities: None
General Summary: The Cash Applications Associate is responsible for completing the application and balancing of
payments into a patient accounting system.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any
time with or without notice.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed must be representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensure,
experience, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Timely and accurately post various types of payments and contractual adjustments
2. Post electronic remittances
3. Post insurance denials and zero dollar remittances
4. Identify and escalate potential refunds
5. Management may assign or reassign duties or responsibilities to this job at any time, whether due to reasonable
accommodation or for other reasons of business necessity or job improvement
Success in managing responsibilities will be measured by the following metrics:
• Operational Metrics
o Individual productivity
o Daily reconciliation of cash deposits – within 3 days
• Qualitative Metrics
o Adherence to compliance regulations and training standards
o Individual quality performance standards to include application of contractual allowances and
balance transfers to next responsible party
Education Requirement: High school diploma or equivalent
Experience Requirement: Minimum of 1 year experience with handling payments; experience working with
insurance remittance in a healthcare setting is preferred OR Associates degree in healthcare or business-related field
and relevant experience OR four year degree in any field
Certification, Licensure, Registration Requirements: None required.
Functional and Technical Competencies - to successfully accomplish the above, the following is required:
• Knowledge of:
o Medicare, Medicaid and Commercial payer remittances
o Applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations
o Various payer websites
• Ability to:
o Meticulously keep track of details without becoming overwhelmed; be exact, precise and accurate; spot minor imperfections or errors and take action to correct them
o Concentrate on work without becoming bored or distracted; maintain attention for long periods of time or when it is difficult to do so; maintain efficiency when interrupted or switching between tasks
o Proactively communicate issues/findings to leadership to drive area performance and workflow improvement. Identify areas of opportunity to assist fellow team members to help drive unit performance
o Organize and prioritize multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner, set priorities, and meet daily/weekly/monthly deadlines as it relates to workload management
o Identify trends and root causes as it relates to cash posting workflows and communicate/escalate those findings to leadership
o Promote teamwork through effective interpersonal skills
o Plan, organize, and carry out assignments with little supervision or assistance; direct one’s own efforts
o React to frequent changes in duties and volume of work; embrace working in a dynamic environment to support departmental needs; understand that workflows change over time and special projects will be necessary to help support departmental workflows as they continue to evolve and improve
o Apply and comply with applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations
• Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment
• Computer applications related to the work
• English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation
• HIPAA rules and regulations
• Quality/Compliance: Achieves a standard of excellence with work processes and outcomes, honoring Organizational policies and all regulatory requirements.
• Customer focus: Strives for high customer satisfaction, going out of our way to be helpful and pleasant, making it as easy as possible on the patient, family member or customer rather than our department or organization.
• Safety Mindset: Promptly reports or corrects any unsafe condition. Records/reports the need for service maintenance or repair of equipment and removes any faulty equipment from service.
• Communication: Balances listening and talking, speaking and writing clearly and accurately, influencing others, keeping others informed.
• Collegiality: Is helpful, respectful, approachable and team oriented, building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
• Initiative: Takes ownership of the work, doing what is needed without being asked, following through
• Efficiency: Plans, manages time well, is on time, is cost conscious, and thinks of better ways to do things.
• Coach-ability: Is receptive to feedback, demonstrates a willingness to learn, and embraces continuous improvement.
• Demonstrates an ability to work in a collaborative manner.
*This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the
employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
• Diversity: Acknowledges and respects cultural diversity in all interactions.
Equipment and Applications:
• Standard Office equipment
• MS Office with proficiency in Excel
• Revenue Cycle tools and systems
• Healthcare Information Systems as appropriate
• Document imaging systems
• Organizational sharepoint
Strength: SEDENTARY - Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. involves sitting most of the time but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.