To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Wadsworth, OH 44281
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
IT SOC Engineer
FirstEnergy Corp • Wadsworth, OH
Posted 1 month ago
FirstEnergy at a Glance
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 5,000 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
Under general supervision, the individual will serve as a member of the Transmission Security Engineering team. The SOC Engineer is responsible for the customization of Security Operations Center (SOC) data sets, technologies, and events to satisfy SOC use case requirements. The SOC Engineer will primarily develop new architecture and data gathering techniques for those currently not in the Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) system. Additional responsibilities include system administration, automation, and providing backup assistance for content development and other security engineering projects. The SOC Engineer will provide technical engineering services for the support of integrated network and security systems; translate security and business requirements into technical designs; improve the security posture of FirstEnergy IT Systems.
- Management and administration of access control, network segmentation, and security products
- Analyze historical security logs to identify potential threats and operational issues to the security of the FirstEnergy
- Design and implement security and network technology to protect against security vulnerabilities and threats
- Analyze client requests for security system modifications to ensure their compliance with security policy and identify any potential threat to security of the FirstEnergy data network. Design and implement appropriate changes to IT security and network products to accommodate those client requests
- Consult with other IT teams to provide technical security expertise needed to ensure a fully secured implementation of new or modified systems
- Working in collaboration with SOC Analysts to create new data driven indicator collection, analysis, and reporting procedures
- Design, implement, and continually update the latest configurations for the wide array of IT security products used in the FirstEnergy data network. Examples are: Firewalls, VPN systems, web proxy servers, intrusion prevention systems, anti-virus and anti-malware, certificates, and authentication systems
- Work with Cyber Security team to implement security policies
- Assess and improve security posture for IT Systems
- Provide technical engineering services for the support of integrated security and network systems
- Participate in troubleshooting operational issues with FirstEnergy systems
- Be on call as part of a rotation to support off-hours operational and security issues with FirstEnergy network and security systems
Required Qualifications Include:
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of related work experience in system administration and troubleshooting
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Working knowledge of Boolean logic, regular expressions, TCP/IP fundamentals, Unix administration, Microsoft Windows administration
- Proficiency in SQL queries and scripting (Perl, Python, PowerShell etc.)
- Hands-on experience with all or some of the following:
- Operating system technologies (Unix, Linux, Windows Server 2008/2012)
- Network Protocols (TCP/IP, MPLS)
- Network Routing (IGRP, OSPF, BGP)
- Evaluating security products and systems
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and oversight
- Ability to work with highly confidential information
- Security data handling as it relates to security information management tools
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- CCNA, SANS GSEC, or CISSP security certifications preferred
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team