Position Open: August 25, 2021
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through website at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Project Estimator.
Clark Nexsen Construction Services is the construction and general contracting subsidiary of Clark Nexsen, a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We primarily perform design build construction projects and we perform the majority of our design services with Clark Nexsen. Combined we have the experience and skills to provide a turnkey solution for our clients that provides a high level of both design and construction in an expeditious time period. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals. We work primarily in the Southeastern United States and operate our projects from our regional offices.
With 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas, our people shape the future by discovering opportunities to transform the way we live in and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performing projects for U.S. and global clients.
We offer generous compensation and benefits, including health, dental, vision, 401k, short and long term disability, paid time off, Aflac, flexible benefits, and legal resources. To learn more about our culture and expertise, please visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Project Estimator.
Clark Nexsen Construction Services seeks to hire a Project Estimator assigned to our Virginia Beach, VA; Roanoke, VA; Richmond, VA; Raleigh, NC; or Charlotte, NC offices who will be the primary person responsible for coordinating the estimate, pre-construction, phases from start to finish. This position will be responsible for working on Architect / Engineer Estimates, Conceptual Estimates, Negotiated GMP Projects, and lump sum bid proposals. Project Estimators are also responsible for assisting in business development and work procurement.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Procurement, Pre-Construction
- Assist and create conceptual estimates for use in negotiated design/build projects, Architect / Engineering estimates and lump sum proposals.
- Lead a comprehensive preconstruction effort for projects, including cost estimates, cost studies, value engineering, scheduling, constructability reviews, site logistics planning, cash flow projections and attending design progress meetings.
- Lead bid efforts including setting up a call sheet, preparing and sending out invitations to bids, advertising as required for public projects or bid strategy, preparing a project manual, distributing bidding documents as required, verifying proper bid coverage, setting up and utilizing estimate template, comprehending and executing all bid requirements including, insurances, permits, bonding requirements, and form of proposal.
- Develop and review the project budget with the Project Executive and set buyout and target goals for procurement and purchasing.
- Lead, develop, and maintain the purchasing schedule ensuring that the Procurement Schedule supports the Project Schedule.
- Maintain and develop the perspective bid lists and lead the subcontractor prequalification process. This includes review of financial statements, EMR, and checking with trade references for prequalified subcontractors.
- Develop Scopes of Work and bid packages and review with the Project Superintendent and Project Executive.
- Receive bids and evaluate the bids against the project schedule, scope of work and Contract Documents.
- Recommend best values contractors to the project team and lead the per-award discussions and subcontractor buyout.
- Fully understand the Owner Contract and monitor the project in regards to change orders and potential change orders. Responsible for notification to owner of potential change orders and changes in the contract and develops change orders as necessary for submission to the Owner during the pre-construction phase.
- Develop and maintain the small business plan and reporting required.
- Experience in estimating all trades for work. Including Sitework, general construction trades, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection estimates.
- Develop relationships with trade contractors and solicit bids from trade contractors throughout the various areas where the work will bring us.
Essential Abilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Travel an average of 20% of the time
- Work may involve times outside normal working hours and on weekends
- Work outdoors with varying terrain and all types of weather
- Stand, walk, and climb for 8+ hours a day
- Be able to lift 50-60 lbs and operate bridge inspection equipment
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or Architecture.
A Project Manager/Estimator should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
Working familiarity with on screen takeoff software (Planswift or On Screen Takeoff) is essential and experience with an estimating software is beneficial.
A Project Estimator should have at least ten years of progressive experience working as an pre-construction manager or estimator on highly complex industrial, federal, commercial, or higher education construction projects to include at least two years of experience working as a Lead Project Estimator with Profit and Loss responsibility.
Have the documented experience in estimating lump sum, GMP and Construction Management Estimates. Documented experience in winning competitive and negotiated bids with documented profitability for projects.
Experience working on estimates and leading bids in North Carolina and Virginia and a working knowledge of the local sub-contractors and pricing in these areas is a benefit.
- Construction Management
- Value Engineering