Information About this Position
Company and Job Overview
- 9:30 a.m.-10:00 p.m.
- 36 Hours per Week
- Every Third Weekend
- Benefits Eligible
BJC HealthCare is one of the largest nonprofit health care organizations in the United States, delivering services to residents primarily in the greater St. Louis, southern Illinois and southeast Missouri regions. With net revenues of $5.5 billion and more than 30,000 employees, BJC serves patients and their families in urban, suburban and rural communities through its 15 hospitals and multiple community health locations. Services include inpatient and outpatient care, primary care, community health and wellness, workplace health, home health, community mental health, rehabilitation, long-term care and hospice.
BJC is the largest provider of charity care, unreimbursed care and community benefits in the state of Missouri. BJC and its hospitals and health service organizations provide $785.9 million annually in community benefit. That includes $410.6 million in charity care and other financial assistance to patients to ensure medical care regardless of their ability to pay. In addition, BJC provides additional community benefits through commitments to research, emergency preparedness, regional health care safety net services, health literacy, community outreach and community health programs and regional economic development.
BJC’s patients have access to the latest advances in medical science and technology through a formal affiliation between Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children’s Hospital with the renowned Washington University School of Medicine, which consistently ranks among the top medical schools in the country.
Assists in the placement of all admissions and transfers in accordance with established guidelines. Facilitates patient placement to appropriate service and HSO. Assigns patients to appropriate beds using facility patient placement guidelines.
- Uses critical thinking skills and clinical judgment in directing patients to the most appropriate level of care and unit assignment and ensures accurate and complete communication with all areas across the system.
- Manages all patient placement and progression functions in a responsive manner responding to all callers with the aid of the electronic health record, approved clinical protocols, and established patient care protocols and healthcare information.
- Works with all hospital (BJC and Non BJC) teams and key stakeholders on leading and facilitating efficient, timely placement of patients across the system.
- Uses available tracking systems to maintain ongoing surveillance of available staffed beds. Monitors progress with bed assignments and arrivals of patients to assigned units; monitors for timeliness of transfers and discharges.
- Alerts department leadership of delays with patient flow for individual patients and departments experiencing delays.
- Nursing Diploma or Associate's Degree in Nursing
- 5-10 years of experience
- <2 years of supervisory experience
- Registered Nurse (RN)
Note: not all benefits apply to all openings
- Comprehensive medical, dental, life insurance, and disability plan options
- Pension Plan*/403(b) Plan
- 401(k) plan
- Tuition Assistance
- Health Care and Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts
- On-Site Fitness Center (depending on location)
- Paid Time Off Program for vacation, holiday and sick time
*Pension does not apply to Memorial Hospital, Memorial Hospital East, Alton Memorial or Parkland Health Center
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Registered Nurse Certified
- Critical Thinking