To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Phoenix, AZ 85013
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Accountant, Principal ( Clinical Trial Billing Specialist)
University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix • Phoenix, AZ
Posted 1 month ago
Accountant, Principal ( Clinical Trial Billing Specialist)
The College of Medicine – Phoenix is seeking a bright and ambitious Senior Accountant with experience in clinical trials billing to manage day-to-day transactions, reconciliation, financial/data analysis, and financial compliance.
As an integral member of the team, the selected candidate will be expected to perform professional accounting activities in a complex, evolving and fast-paced environment and therefore must be flexible and adaptable. This position will work independently and requires expert knowledge and professional application of not only accounting principles, practices and techniques in accordance with the policies and procedures of the UA but also expert knowledge in reconciliation of sponsored clinical trial accounts. Professional demeanor, customer service, and teamwork are required for this position while maintaining sensitivity with confidential information.
A preferred candidate will have experience establishing and maintaining procedures for clinical research budgeting and billing; providing education and outreach regarding clinical research billing procedures; providing technical assistance, advice, tools and resources to PIs, study coordinators, staff at study sites and directors of operation regarding sponsors, reimbursement, budget development and billing, and Clinical Trials Policy coverage analyses; allocating study charges to research study accounts; maintaining inventories of clinical research studies and study subjects reported by research study teams and reporting unresolved billing concerns to appropriate compliance offices.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state retirement plan; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
Duties & Responsibilities:
Billing & Accounting:
- Prepares invoices as required by various study sponsors and manage collection of all outstanding receivables.
- Works hospital partners to optimize billing processes for clinical research related activities.
- Maintains RedCap database of existing clinical trial finances with payment schedules, dollars received and dollars outstanding.
- Reconciles study payments against invoices to maximize collections and to comply with study protocols and proper billing practices.
- Works with and assists Principal Investigators, administrators, and study teams with the allocation of personnel costs.
- Works with study teams to review and monitor appropriate expenses against budget.
- Works across disciplines to provide oversight, support and ensure compliance with clinical research finance processes.
- Works with study team members to effectively comprehend and facilitate timely reporting of financially related research activities.
- Prepares comprehensive quarterly clinical trial financial reports.
- Reviews and develops new financial reporting metrics.
- Assists in clinical research staffing decisions based upon financial analysis review.
- Works closely with COM-P directors of operation to maintain and enhance clinical trial accounting policies and procedures.
- Serves as a resource to study teams, investigators, and institute departments in clinical trials research financial matters.
- Prepares specialized reports, statements, analyses and interpretation utilizing advanced knowledge and proficiency in clinical trial accounting practices, principles and interrelationships for both management and outside agencies. (need to understand this request and if it falls within the scope of this job level).
- Reviews and controls clinical trial accounts and records to ensure accuracy, proper documentation, and compliance with all pertinent procedures and regulations.
- Reviews and adjusts funds or accounts such as cash or federal funds. Redundant statement. Prepares complex journal entries and records composite entries.
- Researches, analyzes and uses independent judgment in a variety of daily and non-routine decisions affecting assigned function.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge of GAAP accounting principles, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge and ability to translate data into accurate financial and management reports from multiple sources.
- Ability to integrate data from multiple sources.
- Ability to build good relationships across department lines and with external third parties and to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Skill in preparing detailed reports on a timely basis.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- One year of experience with clinical trial budgeting and/or post award management.
Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in Accounting AND three years of professional accounting experience; OR, seven years progressively responsible and diverse accounting experience and coursework which included at least three years professional accounting in which a broad exposure to all areas of accounting and accounting principles, practices and procedures was acquired; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Experience in a health care accounting setting strongly desired.
- Experience in working with clinical trial agreements and clinical research billing.
- Knowledge of protocol specific scheduling of research related procedures/treatments and details on how these procedures/treatments will be coded/billed.
- Knowledge of CMS and clinical research billing regulations and compliance risks.
- Knowledge of CMS National Coverage Determination guidelines, CFR federal rules and regulations and sponsor requirements relating to research grants and contracts, specifically to clinical trials is preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Access and Word.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with recommending changes to processes and procedures and maintaining standard operating procedures.
Posted Rate of Pay: $45,270 - $65,100 Annually, Depending on Experience