Laborer-Des Moines, IA
Overview: Looking for a Laborer to join our growing Turner team in Des Moines, Iowa area. Turner is central Iowa’s largest General Contractor by volume specializing in commercial construction of all sizes with a growing self-perform division. Competitive pay and excellent benefits provided including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Vacations and Paid Holidays!
Reports to: Foreman, Superintendent, and Trades Manager
Schedule: This is a day shift position with a typical start time of 7am. Exact start time may vary by project and timing.
Position Description: Responsible for tasks involving physical labor at building construction projects. May assist other craft workers in their trades and may perform other duties as necessary or required. Work may be performed both indoors and outdoors. May clean and prepare constructions sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, erect scaffolding, and clean up debris. May operate hand and power tools of all types.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Duties may include but are not limited to performing physical labor in assistance with jobsite clean-up, using mobile cleaning equipment, rough carpentry, site logistics, material handling, traffic control, signaling, fencing, deck and platform building, protection systems, demo and construction waste areas
- Reviews jobsite needs with the superintendents and foreman
- Participate in the activities of subcontractors and suppliers
- Review project perimeter for security and cleanliness daily
- May perform fire watch duties as needed
- Operate equipment such as cleaning equipment, forklifts, backhoe, skid steer, excavator, compactors, and construction hoist
- Assist with the overall site safety and quality programs as required and ensuring Trade employees/subcontractors compliance with Turner standards and all applicable safety codes, regulations, and jobsite security
- Maintain positive working relationships with customers, contractors, suppliers and other employees
- Ability to travel and accommodate night and weekend work as needed
Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Display a high level of teamwork, integrity, commitment, and leadership in daily operations
- Pick up, collect, sort, and dispose of (recycle) jobsite construction debris.
- Signal equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, and adjustment of machinery, equipment, and materials.
- Tend pumps, compressors, and generators to provide power for tools, machinery, and equipment
- Lubricate, clean, and repair machinery, equipment and tools
- Erect and disassemble scaffolding, shoring, braces, traffic barricades, ramps, and other temporary structures.
- Provide assistance to craft workers, such as carpenters, concrete finishers, and operators.
- Demolish structures and salvage useful materials.
- May perform other duties as necessary or required.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of
buildings, other structure and building & site cleaning to maintain job site safety
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, maintenance and
the ability to determine the appropriate tool need to do the job
- Must be able to comprehend safety instructions and signage, communicate effectively in
emergency situations and understand written safety instructions from tool and equipment
- Valid driver’s license preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions.
Constantly: Standing, Walking, Combined Standing and Walking, Lifting/Lowering/Carrying weight under 25lbs, Reaching below shoulder height. Bending/Twisting neck, Bending at the waist (forward & sideways), Balancing, Pushing/Pulling, Repetitive Motion, Hand/Wrist Flexion-Extension, Noise/Dust/Chemical Exposures.
Frequently: Lifting/Lowering/ Carrying Weights 25-50lbs, Reaching above shoulder heights, Squatting, Kneeling, Climbing, Working on heights.
Occasionally: Sitting, Lifting over 50lbs, crawling, and confined space hazards.
Vision abilities required include: Close, distance, color, peripheral, depth, perception, and focus.
Hearing abilities required include: Hearing abilities required with or without the use of an aide.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While
performing the duties of this job, the employee will work daily on-site at the construction work
site where the employee is exposed to mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne
particles; vehicles, construction equipment; outside weather conditions and uneven work and
slippery work surfaces. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
Turner is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer minorities / females / veterans / individuals with disabilities/ sexual orientation / gender identity. VEVRAA Federal Contractor
- Forklift Truck
- Logistics Operations